Epsiode 1: Rebel Spirit Part 2

"It's a shame that the Southerners have abandoned all connections to the spirits," Unalaq murmured as he scanned all the excited people rushing from stand to stand at the festival. Korra pulled together a thin smile as she looked over at her father and Tenzin as they trailed behind her and Unalaq. "Even during the most hallowed times." Unalaq shook his head and shuffled his coat closer together as a few people passed by him.

"Well, I've always loved the Glacier Spirits Festival. It's fun," Korra mused. She stuffed her hands into her coat pocket, smiling widely as she looked all around the festival. Her eyes landed on her mother a couple of stands away, and she gave her a broad wave. Senna happily waved back, Korra's eyes sliding from her mother to a thick swirl of ice cream that momentarily blocked her face. The ice cream belonged to no other than Lemaya who raised her brows with a smile as she pointed to her favorite ice cream flavor black raspberry.

Wriggling her nose at Korra who watched her intensely, Lemaya licked a strip of her ice cream while looking at Korra, her attention catching on an old friend behind her as she licked her lips free of any remnant of ice cream. Korra's face warmed for a reason she couldn't quite yet place as she stared at Lemaya, Unalaq's demeaning cough forcing her to look away as they continued to walk.

"This festival used to be a solemn time of fasting and meditation." Korra shook off her thoughts, Unalaq's monologuing making her yawn. "Now it's just a chance to watch some rube try to stick an entire artic hen in his mouth." Unalaq stopped his movements to stare at Bolin who was really trying to stick an entire cooked arctic hen in his mouth.

Hearing voices behind him, Bolin widened his eyes and turned to them with a shrug. "What?" Bolin paused to finish swallowing the chicken. "Oh, it's so good." Bolin closed his fists in delight, and Korra shook her head slightly in amusement as Unalaq began walking again.

"Traditions change. It's not the end of the world," Tenzin voiced from behind the group. Whereas Tonraq was merely silently watching the interaction, for now, Tenzin could no longer listen to him go on.

"Tell that to the sailors who are being attacked by angry spirits in the southern waters. Some traditions have a purpose," Unalaq said.

"Wait, spirits are attacking ships?" Korra's hands fell out of her pockets and landed loosely by her side.

Unalaq chuckled. "I'm surprised the Avatar doesn't know about that. Apparently, you haven't been given all the information you need." He turned to Korra with a solemn and firm glance. "It would be my honor to instruct you in the spiritual ways of the Water Tribe."

Korra gave a sparing look at Tenzin. "I wouldn't mind learning about fighting spirits. Airbending is getting pretty boring."

"Tenzin is Korra's instructor," Tonraq said, glaring at Unalaq. "For now, at least, he can give her all the training she needs." Korra groaned at her father's distrust, crossing her arms before storming off in the direction she last saw Lemaya.

"So you've said." Unalaq looked at his brother briefly before leaving on his own, a small smile sitting on his face as he stalked off through the packed festival.

---------------

Bolin skipped off towards the Southern Water Tribe docks, lovingly ripping the taunting note that Mako had left him before leaving earlier. "'Don't you love the park?'" Bolin mimicked. "Spirits Mako, I'll get you back for this." Making a mental note to remind Mako of every embarrassing thing he's ever done, Bolin parked himself in front of the oncoming ship that lodged itself in the dock. Bolin stared at the decked-out ship admiring how fancy it looked. The ramp to the ship lowered, and Asami came down it with her bags being carried by a few people behind her. "What's with the decadence?" Bolin asked.