Chapter 29

" I am not going to leave you." I hear nana say from behind me.

I don't say anything but turn from my dressing mirror, to face her.

She stands at the doorway, now watching me.

" You need not be alone at such a time, your nana is here with you and I won't dare leave."

" I know that you won't leave nana."

" Good, now tell me about that beautiful dream of yours." She says, entering my room and walking on to prepare my bed, for the night.

" Why nana?"

" Well, it brings out that beautiful smile of my flower. So of course I want to hear it."

" I feel like I am still alive and breathing, when I hear or see them. Is that not good nana?" I ask in a small voice, feeling desperate for an answer.

" They are a part of you my dear, memories of them give you a reason to continue right now." She says, patting the bed.

She wants me to get in bed.

Her words feel nice to hear but that small smile of hers, calms me down.

" Nana, I was asleep not so long ago." I remind her.

" I want to spend some time with my Catherine." She says, patting the empty spot.

I sigh, caving in.

I walk on to my closet and change into my PJs before getting under the bed cover, she sits beside me and I shift closer to her, resting my head on her lap.

" Don't sleep too soon." She says, combing her fingers through my hair.

" It might be impossible if you continue doing that."

" Being present and talking with you, is good enough for me." She says. " Now tell me all about your dream."

" Do I really need to speak about it?"

" No you don't have to, but it would be nice if we talk for a little while. Just the two of us."

"Hmm.......They want me to think about them all the time, they want to remind me that they are with me, even if....."

" Your beautiful dream." She says. " It made your heart calm, tell me about it." She repeats her last words.

" It felt normal and real, a dream come true. I didn't want to wake up honestly."

" It made it easy to stay asleep."

" Yes."

" If you slept for too long, then I would have been bored." She chuckles.

"Nana, we've gone through years without seeing each other, I'm pretty sure that you have surpassed the stages of boredom."

" Maybe, but then I got spoilt when we reunited again."

" I think we have totally different meanings to being spoilt nana. You took up the role of being my mother, I have been spoilt, receiving my mother's love, all these years."

I feel her kiss my head.

" Nana, do you think there is anything left I will have to lose?...."

" Don't speak this way my dear, it hurts my heart to hear you speak like this."

" There is my life, that is left....But there is not much of it to take, parts of my life are gone now." A tear slips out, trailing down my face.

" Catherine please dear....let's talk of something good." Her tone makes me aware that my tear has touched her skin. Her small gasp reached my ears.