Stupid

I was starving by the time I exited the OR. At least this sinner was stable and not dead as a doornail on my operating table. While I was happier about this surgery, I was still fuming about how he got there. 

"I'm going for a drink," I said to the intern standing nearby as I cleaned up, "Page me if he starts to tank."

Thankfully, the bar was near empty tonight. I guessed the turf war had scared most of the sinners into their holes for the night. Sitting in my usual place at the edge of the bar, I ordered a beer and tried to relax.

"My my, it almost feels like deja vu." I heard Alastor's voice behind me. Turning, I set my beer down on the counter and glared at him.

"I really, really just want to be left alone tonight." I sighed, feeling my anger rising back up. After all, here was an overlord right here in front of me. 

Alastor cocked his head to the side, "Rough day, I assume?"

I could have lost my temper and screamed at the intern who gave me the wrong chart today. I could have berated the barista who screwed up my coffee this morning. I could have even screamed at the sky that life was unfair. But no. I had to lose my temper and yell at Radio Demon himself. 

"Rough day?" I hissed, "I just operated on a sinner who was impaled because of a senseless turf war! My colleague had to tell a mother and her two children that their father died on an operating table. My patient is just barely stable and lord knows he'll never be able to pay for the hospital bills. Dozens of us just worked all day to clean up the mess your kind made!"

"My kind?" Alastor's eyes narrowed. If I was smart, I would have shut up. But I am not smart apparently.

"Overlords!" I was on my feet now, screaming in Alastor's face as the entire bar watched in mute horror, "You overlords think we are just bugs and don't matter! You play your stupid fucking games and leave the rest of us to clean up the mess!"

"I see," Alastor replied, turning for the door, "Apologies for the inconvenience. Have a good evening."