Happy Moments

Once we had regained our senses, Alastor and I curled up on the couch to eat the dinner we had forgotten about. I had only been trying to get him out of his pants when I told him I could work up an appetite, but I really was starving by the time we sat down. 

"Oh my lord, this is delicious," I said around a mouthful of food. It really was. The Jumbayla was a perfect balance of spicy and savory. Alastor made Martha Stewart look like an expired can of cheap imitation pasta. And not the name-brand imitation pasta. The discount crap.

"I'm glad you like it," Alastor replied, leaning back against the cushions, "I don't cook for many sinners."

That touched something in me. Sure we had met in a bar and we had only recently gotten physical, but it still was really sweet he was willing to share this part of himself with me. 

"Thank you for doing this," I replied, "It's really sweet of you."

Then I leaned forward and kissed him softly. It was by far the sweetest moment we had shared.

But like all things in the world, the happy moments are short lived. My phone buzzed with a text from Jasmine. A bus had been crunched by a semi and the survivors were due to arrive at the hospital at any moment. 

"Fuck," I swore. Sometimes I wished I had become a lawyer instead.