Chapter 4 [Revolve] Part 2 - Transition

"...promise me!"

From the deepest and darkest part, Number Five's loud voice echoed in the mind of the deer who was on the bed.

Ray, as usual, was curled up with a pillow, hugging it as if it was Number Four's body. Mumbling. It had been a few years after he left the black market. He could still clearly recall the events that endangered his life. He always had a pillow next to him like it would save him from the curse of the market.

There was this one time where he awakened from his sleep with tears trialing down on his brown fur. His mind made a fake scenario where his family remembered him and everything ended happily ever after. He missed them. But the question still stood. Did they miss him as well?

Ray opened his eyes as the sun began to rise from the horizon. Colorful hues painted all over the awakening sky. Morning winds blew into the room, curtains swayed calmly. The deer stayed on the bed for a few more moments, staring into the open space, surrounded by four walls.

A few questions continued to fly around his head. Where would he be if the lizard didn't show up? Where would he be if he didn't decide to kill the cheetah? Where would Number Four be if Ray had the guts to protest?

His brown hands slid away from the puffy pillow and to his eyes, rubbing them gently as he let out a small yawn. He didn't want to get up for today, he wanted to stay here on the bed where he felt more comfortable. Though, doing so would be like, not pulling the trigger on the carnivore. He had no choice but to keep moving, like what Kananosuke always advised.

Ray raised himself off the bed and waddled to the bathroom where he showered and prepared for the day. He looked at himself in the mirror in utter silence while he put the orange tie around his neck.

He didn't know what he was doing until he felt something tight around his neck, he overtightened the tie. He sighed and dropped his hands to the side while keeping his eyes on the reflection. The suit has gotten more stylish along with the growth of his antlers.

He was glad to still see himself alive, but if so, then how come he was not showing any signs of it? Something was still weighing him down. If only there were something which could make him forget everything instantly, that would be very convenient, and he would need it every single day.

Once finished in his nostalgic moments, Ray walked out of the closet and grabbed a book on the way out of the bedroom. He had been reading books ever since. His mind was always completely hungry for knowledge. It was one of the things where he found entertainment while also learning new things at the same time.

Throughout the years, so far, he had read five books. All of them were self-learning. Kananosuke didn't want Ray to go to school. The lizard knew Ray was capable and knowledgeable enough to not attend any school.

Ray walked down the stairs and straight to the dining room where he expected to see his father, however, when he pushed the doors open, he was greeted by emptiness. He walked towards the table where their plates and utensils were placed. Ray must've awakened earlier than his father, for the first time it seemed.

The deer remained seated with a straight body, arms resting on the armrest, waiting for their breakfast and his father. While he waited, he tapped his feet on the glossy floor and opened the book, reading it. Then he thought about where they would be going this time. Yesterday, Kananosuke said they would be going to a special place, for he has a gift for Ray.

What could it be? Would it be just another vehicle? Another huge grant of money? His very own mansion perhaps? Even to this day, his knowledge about his adoptive father was still capped. There were some occasions where his curious mind sparked. The one time where he stumbled upon some paintings in the hallways.