Chapter 13 [Letter] Part 4 - Agony

The deer continued to walk through the sleeping city streets as the moon passed the dark clouds and the sea of twinkling lights. Ray couldn't grasp the fact he managed to not kill someone after all that hatred and encouragement from his brother.

It was somehow eye-opening for him who had been walking along this path since getting abandoned. He lost his parents, he lost his adoptive father, the only thing that remained to exist from a long time ago was Louis.

That particular deer, even from miles away, Ray couldn't remove the image of someone he used to value. It was the only person who stayed by his side during the dark times.

When he got back to the black market, he only nodded lightly at the guards before heading straight to his office where he could have the time of peace he needed. As usual, he stood silently behind the desk, facing the window where he continued to gaze over the awakened domain in the asleep city.

He looked straight, to his own reflection, resting his hand on the glass wall as if Louis was staring at him or he was touching his other self from the other side of life. The life he now wanted. The life he continued to dream about every single day.

This foreign feeling continued to last for days after the incident in the warehouse. He still couldn't get Louis out of his mind. The mind was supposed to be closed for any distractions. Louis, however, wasn't a distraction. Somehow, he was a barrier, signaling him to deter.

He was at the park at the time when the feeling grew to an overwhelming state. He was adoring the magnificent sight of mother nature, the wide lake surrounded with colorful plants. Ray was laying on the grass. His back was resting on the trunk as his feet were raised and planted atop the briefcase. His arms were wrapped around him when he overheard two deer in the distance.

His ears gradually rose and as he continued to listen to their sweet words. He kept his look straight as the couple cuddled and wrapped their arms around each other, while also admiring the same view.

At first, he thought life was just playing with him which had somehow become a daily basis. He slowly rolled his eyes and shrugged the moment off, slightly moving his sight enough to not see them.

He didn't last long under his favorite tree when he found more couples, this time different species. They were all doing the same thing, exchanging loving words and sharing affections.

Ray was confident that it was not Valentine's day. Though, what was weird was Ray demising the sight. He shouldn't get bothered by it. He shouldn't be, as in the previous months. Something was eating him alive from within ever since he met Louis.

The smiles on their faces and the radiating energy called love was slowly getting into the deer's nerves.

He grabbed his belongings and casually moved away from the tree with disgust. He still had the scars and wounds he got from their conflict, though they were barely noticeable until one stood close, and that was what he was trying to do—distancing himself from everyone. Even from Augustine.

He was strolling around, ignoring the love birds, when his ears jumped upon hearing melodic chimes nearby. He turned around and saw a truck in the distance. It was decorated with different colors and animated things with a cone or a stick. Its white paint glistened as the sun continued to blast heat.

He was the only one in the area who was wearing a black suit. Since it was thick and black absorbs heat, his clothing brought pressure to Ray to not ignore the oncoming vehicle, decorated with bright hues like everyone's mood.

The deer sighed and calmly shook his head when he signaled the driver with embarrassment.

The driver stopped before him and asked what he wanted. The driver was trying to not looked surprised to see a killer asking for what they serve.