Chapter 1 [Five and Four] Part 1 - History

"...I'll do anything you want!", begged the sheep as it was dragged on the grimy, stone floor, across the gloomy hallway walled by cells.

A deer woke up in one of those cells. He was curled up in one of the corners of the room, shivering and teeth chattering. He pulled his legs closer to him as he carefully raised his head just a tad, enough for his eyes to peer over the outline of his brown, skinny arms.

Just like most of everyone else, the deer had no idea why he ended up here in the first place. All he knew was, they were being kept alive for only one reason—to be sold in the black market. Either in pieces or as a whole. Dead or alive.

He found out from one time when he overheard one of the carnivores' discussions about the situation of the black market. He arrived here two weeks ago. In a box.

He was heading home from his piano lessons. He skipped through the busy streets of the city with a glee on his face. He swayed his head side-to-side. He turned to his right and passed the wooden fences of his vibrant, simple home. As usual, when he opened the door, he would greet his parents and they would greet back joyfully. They had been doing it for years. His father would be reading the daily newspapers and his mother would be doing the dishes.

However, when he turned the knob and opened his mouth, he found his parents in the living room. His father was patting the back of his wife who was sobbing and sniffing with her back turned at the young deer. He was too young to understand the matured world outside his bubble. Though, it was his first time seeing them in this heavy atmosphere.

He stood there near the front door in complete silence before he went upstairs—into his bedroom where he would usually go after coming back from school. He slowly closed the door behind him and placed his backpack on the floor near his study desk.

He still did the things he would do to pass time—reading books, watching documentaries, homework, and whatnot. He was a polymath student. Always got high scores to obtain a scholarship. He was very thankful for it.

He stayed in his room for a few hours until he was called for dinner. His ears twitched when he jumped off the bed and rushed through the door and down the stairs. His parents were in the dining area, placing the plates and utensils on the small, basic, round table.

He sat down on his favorite stool which was situated across his father's. His legs dangled as he watched his mother set his favorite meal, grilled asparagus, and Caesar salad. He had eaten many versions of these, and yet, he still preferred the ones made by his beloved mother. Once ready, they prayed and dug in.

The asparagus' flavors burst as he munched them with great manners. After the asparagus, he moved to the salad and the first bite was undoubtedly delicious, that was until he got halfway when the flavor changed.

His munching slowed while his teeth gritted some hard stuff. It tasted more like a syrup. He kept eating even though he didn't like the taste. He thought it was just the vitamins at first, but why would his mother do it if he doesn't protest when consuming his medicines. It must be something. Though, by the time he was only a few bites left, he started feeling groggy.

He looked around as soon as his vision began to spin. His fingers felt numb and his entire body followed. He opened his mouth but couldn't say anything to catch his parent's attention. The last memory he had with them was just eating there in front of them like he didn't exist.

He woke up in a small box with a tiny hole in one of the walls. A light beamed through it. His mind couldn't grasp the idea of why he ended up in this cramped space. The entire thing was swaying greatly. He crawled to the hole where he peeked and with his foggy mind, could only make out that he was in a truck—due to the roaring engine.