Chapter 5 [Path] Part 2 - Transition

"Number five, you're up!"

The cheetah unlocked the gate and walked into the cell. Ray quickly scampered to the corner, mumbling things, begging for the carnivore to leave him alone. The cheetah brought out a syringe along with a devilish smirk.

Tears began to flow out of the fawn's eyes when his arm was grasped and pushed down to the grimy ground. He breathed intensely when he looked at the other kids, huddled to the other side, watching him helplessly. The cheetah popped the cap off and jabbed the needle into the deer's neck.

"AAAHHH!"

The deer jerked up as he screamed at the top of his lungs. He elbowed the jaw of the cheetah and shoved him away while he quickly got back to his feet. Ray jumped on top of the carnivore, pinning him with his weight, firmly gripped its neck.

The deer gritted his teeth as he watched the animal under him began to choke. He heard footsteps from behind and immediately, arms wrapped around his waist. It was scaly. He snapped his head back and was shocked to see Kananosuke pulling him off from the carnivore.

Why was his father doing in the black market?

Ray kicked his feet in the air when he turned to his front and discovered the cheetah morphed into a gazelle wearing a nurse outfit. He suddenly stopped and everything around him warped into a white, simple room.

"Ray! Ray! It's me!", shouted the lizard when he took hold of the deer, forcing him to look at his face.

"Wh-..." Ray's scream instantly stopped upon seeing and hearing the words of his father. He darted around before quickly wrapping his arms around Kanansouke, hugging him tightly as he could.

"You had a dream... calm down... you're safe..."

"I'm sorry.", cried the deer who buried his face into his father's suit, ashamed of what he had done.

"It's alright-"

"N-no... I'm sorry I doubted you on the present.", Ray kept his face buried under the immense guilt as he tried to rebuild his trust in the person who could protect him, who just wanted to protect himself.

"I know, Ray. We've all been there...", Kananosuke placed his hand behind Ray's head and patted him, keeping him in his embrace as he watched the staff recovered from the incident.

The deer apologized to the nurses before limping back to bed. Thankful he was still alive after being faced with a strange person. A very lucky deer indeed. Escaped death three times. He wondered what would be next and why was death always after him.

Ray rested his head on the pillow, sinking a little, as he eyed at the nurse who was tapping the syringe in front of him. He remained calm this time, he even assured the gazelle he wouldn't choke her again.

As the nurse did her job, Ray turned his head back to his father who sat nearby, watching and returning a gaze, a questionable one. Kananosuke knew, only by the eyes of his son, he would be asking a lot of questions. And he was sure he wouldn't answer most of them. He didn't expect this to happen to him.

Kananosuke gave all the details as soon as they were left alone in their room. Surprisingly, the lizard wasn't wearing his usual suit.

"I don't know how long you were in your bedroom when I returned and found the place invaded. I immediately called the cops and... I'm just glad you were still in one piece, although, you are critically low in the blood. The doctor says it'll take days for you to recover."

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for your gift.", stated the deer who sat up and examined his legs which were scratched and bitten. The wolf didn't manage to rip them off. Ray still wanted to walk on his own legs for as long as he could. He was born with no defects, he promised himself he would keep it that way. To finish his life still in one piece.