Seventeen: Dove

Seventeen:

Dove

I had to be demented.

That was the only explanation going through my mind. Shortly after Gedeon had left, the party went on like normal. Well, except for the new stares at my direction from his outburst.

She's mine.

His possessiveness in his angered words did something to me that I couldn't explain, much like when he praised me. Gedeon made me feel things, things I didn't know what they were or that I can even feel at all. It made my heart speed, and not out of fear either.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Aleksei asked once more, his eyes filled with worry along with Sofia and Anastasia.

I nodded, my hands unconsciously running through the side of my hair where Vlad had grabbed me. "Yes, it wasn't too bad. I think we should be asking Sofia with the bump."

She smoothly ran her hands over her belly with a smile. "We're okay, but it was thanks to you. We're forever in your debt."

"No, I did what anyone else would have." I shook my head at the mere thought of someone being in my debt. I had only met Sofia, but she was the only person that defended me, helped me. "So please don't talk about owing me. You've already done a lot for me."

"She did?" Anastasia asked, her brows bumped together.

"Well, if you count showing her what's good to eat," she offered, laughing while everyone else chuckled. Fixing their demeanor, Sofia's eyes become serious as they land on me. "Though, I can't believe you were able to calm Gedeon in that state."

"I was thinking that as well," Anastasia agreed, placing a hand onto her hips after finishing her champagne and thrusting it to Aleksei who rolled his eyes. "I never knew you were so brave, throwing yourself onto an angry lion."

The corner of my lips twitched at her comparison of him to a lion. It was fitting, with his scar too.

"I was scared wits for your safety," Aleksei mumbled, snapping my attention back to him. "I'm just glad he went to cool down while Timor makes sure the Roman family is okay with everything that went on. I feel bad for them."

Anastasia scoffed. "You kidding me? They've been waiting for this day for years. Now with Vlad gone, they can finally stop being the laugh and gossip of the party."

"What will happen with you?" I asked when it finally dawned to me that Sofia was Vlad's mistress. I was rather shocked he didn't hide it, showcasing her like she was just an object.

"I've talked to Gedeon," Timor said, coming up to us while fixing his bowtie. It seemed this man could never catch a break all evening that I had to think if I've seen him eating as he turned his attention to Sofia. "Sofia, you can choose to stay, but I think that isn't what you really want, is it?"

"Are you serious?" she whispered in disbelief.

"We had all assumed for a while what was happening, but without you saying anything and not directly part of our family, we didn't try to do anything long enough," Timor winced at his own words before puckering his lips. "I apologize for not keeping a better eye on it. But we're giving you the choice now if you wish to stay and become part of our family under blood oath."

Sofia's mouth parted in a silent gasp for a moment before she shook her head. "No, I'm sorry but thank you for the offer. I never did, but I couldn't leave. I have my daughter, just seven years old, and I needed the money. Not to mention, Vlad had made it clear if I left...something bad will happen to her and me."