Three: Dove

Three:

Dove

There was something calming about being alone. Maybe it was the only place I can confine myself in that wasn't in a book. Nothing was better than a book in hand in complete silence, something I was rewarded only a handful of time because Father or Robert always found their way to disrupt it. With Father, it was when he was in a bad mood and decided it was my fault for it. Robert was every time he came over, taking me roughly to remind me that he owned me.

Every cage has a one way out for the bird, but unfortunately, it was also a way for an outside force to drag it out without a say.

Gingerly flipping to the next page, I was about to continue reading when I heard Father's voice. It was low as he talked to the two guards in front of my door. I saw them widening their eyes in shock before parting ways, leaving me and Father alone. I frowned slightly at the intersection. He didn't care usually when he hit me in front of others in the estate. So why was he telling them to go away?

My body instantly tensed as he made his way over to me with an unreadable expression. I cast my head down in dismay, gritting my teeth to not flinch. If I showed fear, it made him smile and I hated giving him that power. I hated showing anyone my weakness. He grabbed me roughly by the wrist and I let out a small yelp, startled by his sudden action. My book fell with a loud thump and I continued to stare at the tiled floor, hoping he wouldn't hit me.

"Get up and go to the meeting room right now and entertain our guest. I'll be there in fifteen. Don't do anything stupid, got it? This is big for me," he growled harshly as he shoved me forcefully out my room. I saw one of the guards on the other end of the hall, waiting for me. "My men will escort you. If you mess this up for me, you're dead. Do you understand me, Dove?"

I nodded quietly as I walked to where the guard was. When was the last time I had left my room besides going outside to be shown off like an exotic animal by Robert? My bare feet slapped onto the cold tile floor, making me shiver. The house was practically freezing now that I was without a blanket. Everything caught my eyes as I stared around in amazement. I didn't go out often and even in my own house, it was something different. Something new I craved.

The guard stopped a few feet from our destination and then turned to me. "Mr. Genovese told me to let you know you shall wait in this room until he arrives. I will be stationed a few feet, so do not try to do anything reckless."

Translation: I am allowed to shoot you or knock you onto the floor if you try to run.

I meekly nodded as I tried to calm my speeding heart before opening the door. What did Father meant by "entertain" the guest? Surely, he didn't mean the man he was with before, Gedeon.

Turning the knob, I walked in slowly with one of my hand clutching onto the tattered clothing I wore. The room here was even colder, for some reason. I had never been in Father's meeting room before and just like the rest of the house, I ate up the detail greedily to engrave into my memory. That was, until my eyes landed on Gedeon.

A cigar hung immobile in his mouth, though he wasn't inhaling it. When our eyes met, he gave me a lazy smile, as if he was expecting me. I closed the door behind me and turned to him as he leaned forward, removing his cigar and holding it between his fingers. "Bird."

I narrowed my eyes before I could help myself. This man was the embodiment of annoyance. I should have cast my eyes down, but our small interaction told me he didn't care about it. I decided to test my luck. "Scar."