Twenty-Seven: Gedeon

Twenty-Seven:

Gedeon

"I'm sorry I attacked you and saying I'd fuck my wife in top of your dead corpse because you kissed her."

Aleksei choked on his coffee at my monotoned apology and Anastasia dropped her knife, letting it clatter loudly as it hit the floor while Nicolai stared at me in pure befuddlement. Both Timor and Lizabeta had gone on their weekly check on our warehouses located in Hell's Kitchen, so it was just us in the house today. I ignored them all and continued to finish the remainder of lunch.

Honestly, I didn't even know why I was apologizing.

After almost a week of awkward tension, I finally decided to apologize first, a first for me. I've never apologized first and I don't think I ever had up until now. I cocked one eyebrow up when no one broke the silence. It was like I grew a second head in their sight.

"Did Dove put you up to this?" Aleksei humorously asked. He set down his fork with his half-eaten beef stroganoff still stabbed into it. Propping one elbow up, he grinned at me madly.

Right, that was why I was apologizing after she persistently hunted me down. To be quite honest, I had no idea if it was for the better or worse that we pretend nothing happened between us. How she was the only woman to date that made me lose all self-control and liked it.

"Yes," I replied, hating to admit she was able to get me into doing something.

He chuckled, shaking his head in pure amusement along with everyone else at the table. "Did she ask with those big doe eyes of hers? Even someone like you couldn't resist, could you?"

"Shut the fuck up."

"I'm sorry I kissed your wife," Aleksei said, looking anything but apologetic.

"You better damn well be," I gritted out, not wanting to push it further by asking why he looked so smug and know-it-all right now.

"I'll let you kiss my special someone when the time comes," he offered while placing his fisted onto his chest and tapped three times, a sign of commitment to his words with a wink. "You know, if the Devil doesn't get me first since I am your best bodyguard."

"Not interested in that bull," I snickered in retaliation.

"Right because you already have your Queen to keep you occupied, eh?" Aleksei joshed, causing everyone to chuckle. "I guess a Queen is the most powerful piece of the chessboard for a reason, huh?"

"Last I checked, she's a pawn, but it's all a lie, huh?" Anastasia chimed in happily while retrieving our dishes. I was beginning to think everyone is just having fun teasing me which didn't happen often.

"Where is Dove this morning?" Nicolai grumbled, looking up from his tablet finally to join into the conversation to everyone's surprise. Including myself since he never cared much about anyone and vocalized his hate for Dove since the beginning. He turned his head over to Aleksei with a deep frown. "Aren't you supposed to be keeping watch of her?"

"Oh, I never thought I'd see the day Nicolai would care for an Italian to ask where she is," Aleksei teased.

"Says the one who humored Ana in making stupid names for them along with Timor."