Nineteen: Dove

Nineteen:

Dove

"Are you sure you'll be okay in there with Gedeon?"

I took in Aleksei's features, wariness and concern written all over his face. Truthfully, I didn't know if I'd be okay with Gedeon on my own. We've been left alone on a few occasions, and we were fine, yet with how livid he looked yesterday, I didn't know. I nodded meekly as I reminded myself it didn't matter what I wanted, not in this world I was born in. "Well, he's my husband."             

It was like he understood what I meant, though he wasn't happy. His whole body tensed at my reminder, his lips pressing into a rather thin line like he was contemplating. "You know in the past few weeks; you've become very important to me."

I nodded as I watched him take a seat next to me on the large couch. "Yes, and Anastasia as well."

"You know you can come to me for anything right?" he asked, putting a hand around my shoulder, his other hand resting on top of my hand that was folded neatly over my thighs. At first, my whole body flinched harshly, but he only drew back for a moment when I didn't say anything. I've been coming around to the thought of being able to one day not flinch or freak out whenever someone of the opposite sex touched me.

"Well, yes," I nodded once more with a chuckle nudging my shoulder onto his. "You're supposed to be my knight in shining armor."

"I am?" he perked up, his eyes looking hopeful and pleased.

"Yeah, sent to me by your King," I said in agreement. What a peculiar turn we've taken, not that I minded too much. It was nice to talk freely and each day, I'm growing more comfortable with the idea as well.

"And you're the Queen," he mumbled. His hands slipped from where they were laying on my shoulders. He tucked one of them into the pockets of his slacks while his other rubbed at the back of his neck like he was debating. I've come to welcome his presence in my few weeks here along with Anastasia. He was kind, often keeping me company when I needed it.

"Why do you look so gloomy?" I asked, cocking my head to the side. Worriedness consumed me momentarily as he got up from his seat. "Are you okay?"

"It's nothing," he began, exhaling. "But if I'm being honest—"

"Finally done washing the dishes because everyone seemed to eat like slobs," Anastasia said, popping into the living room and cutting off Aleksei. She wiped her wet hand into the apron she was wearing and made eye contact with me. "Oh, hi Dove. You finished breakfast?"

"Yeah," I answered. Since discovering my lack of appetite was due to being around people, I was given permission to eat in the living room if I wanted with Anastasia and Aleksei to accompany me once they were finished and I was almost done with my breakfast. It usually consisted of either overnight oats with fruits, or an avocado toast. Getting up, from my seat, I carried my plate to the kitchen while Anastasia followed. "Are we still baking tonight?"

"You know it girly," she laughed. "Now go see Gedeon, I'll clean it up."

"No, you don't need to," I began but was cut off right away.

"You have to tell me what went on though," she squealed in excitement. "Can this be the start of a love story I've been secretly rooting for?"

I did a double take, confused about what she was going on about. "What?"

"You and Gedeon," she said, wiggling her eyebrow like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "After what happened at the event two weeks ago? I've been suspicious, so you have to tell your best friend. I mean, we are, right?"