Ten: Gedeon

Ten:

Gedeon

Stubborn, feisty and with an attitude that she harbored in her soul.

That was the three words I could describe her out the top of my mind as I walked down to the kitchen area, finally deciding to come out of my office after locking myself away to finish up my tasks for a few days. Dove was sitting at the end of the table, in a plain white gown that still looked too big for her tiny frame. Unlike the past few days, she had finally stopped wearing a cardigan around the estate as we raised the heat, given how cold it was getting. Her hair was parted to one side as she listened to what everyone was chattering around, giving a small nod and brief sentences here and there. Almost as if she senses me, she briefly looked at the doorway to where before she went back to poking at her overnight oats with fruits. Anastasia was chattering per usual up to fill the silence with an occasional grunt or mumble from my men until I finally stepped into the kitchen.

"Gedeon, good morning," Anastasia said through a spoonful of cereal. "Care to join us finally?"

"Did you sleep in your office yesterday?" Nicolai asked in a gruff, his gun in plain sight as a way to assert his dominance with high alert. I didn't blame him, since it wasn't everyday you have a new addition to the family. Our men slept and lived in other properties miles away from here and only my most trusted gets to live here. It just so happened that rule changed when I brought home a little bird.

"Perhaps," I answered, taking a seat across from Dove on purpose. She stopped picking at her oatmeal with fruits for a moment for me to recognized she barely touched it before she goes onto mixing it. Everyone had been to wrap up with discussing our next plan of action to notice it, or they didn't care enough.

"We got anything to do today. Shipments? Meeting? Killing?" Aleksei asked, drawing out the last part which made everyone perk up in interest while the maid placed my usual breakfast consisting of two eggs, bacons, and a side of buttered toast. Taking a knife and fork, I slowly took a small bite and thought.

"Nothing out the ordinary," I simply shrugged after swallowing. For the most part, I was waiting for my next move, careful not to jump too fast before it was my turn. With just Lizabeta needed to return when she's done, everything was set in place. All we needed now was patience, something they weren't good at. "Most of the things are dealt with already. Though I have to meet with the families next week to introduce my new wife."

"Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that," Timor snapped his finger, slamming his cup of coffee onto the table and making Dove jump from the sudden sound. I watched Aleksei narrow his eyes at Timor for scaring her. No one seemed to have notice as they became caught up with getting ready for the day, but I did. For the most part, everyone's guard was always done for the most part on the estate, except for me.

I learned young what could happen if you ever have your guard down.

Aleksei gave Dove a reassuring smile a few seats away which earned him just the slightest smile in return. I didn't like it but decided to give a moment of thought since he usually took his job seriously, which meant making sure Dove wasn't going to do anything idiotic and stupid.

"Every family is going to be there?" Timor asked, puzzled as he glanced at Dove for a moment. She stops picking at her breakfast, probably trying to process the fact that everyone is going to be staring at her with distasteful and revulsive matter. Some might even find her shocking to see that the Italians princess wasn't just a myth.