Thirty-One: Dove

Thirty-One:

Dove

They say you can see into someone's soul through their eyes.

And, like usual, Gedeon's eyes were the hardest to replicate whenever my mind wandered, and I have the urge to sketch him. Lately, it seemed every single whim of my thought was about him. When I started, I would draw simple things. The pages were filled with pictures of my mother, flowers, sometimes even sceneries of the sky, trees, or birds.

Now, the last few dozen or so is about him. Mainly his blue eyes that drew me in and held me there like a captive. The alluring blue that should be a sin to exist on anyone. How even though he never smiles all that often, his eyes give him away if he was angry or amused. He may be poker-faced most of the time, but his eyes were an open window. He may try hiding it, but it seemed everyone besides me was able to tell how he truly felt.

Actually, Gedeon's eyes reminded me a lot of—

I jumped out of my skin and shut my book quickly when someone barged into my room without so much as a knock. Startled, I turned to see Lizabeta come marching into the room with a scowl on her face. In a pair of tights and sweatpants, it seemed she had just gone for a run. Staring up from where I was seated, I gave her a wary smile. "Hello Lizabeta, how—"

"Get the fuck up and follow me," she snapped. She didn't allow me time to process before yanking my wrist, causing me to yelp. "We don't have time to explain shit and Gedeon's going to skin me if I don't get you in the emergency bunker in the back."

"Oh, where are we—"

Again, she cuts me off. "Shut the fuck up we don't have time for this shit."

"Wait, I need my book," I objected as she tried to pull me out of my room. I had no idea what was happening, but it seemed bad if I had to leave under Gedeon's wishes. It was the only thing I had to take with me. To calm me besides Gedeon's jacket he had given me the first time we met that I had around my shoulders currently.

"We don't have time for it," she snapped, uninterested in my problem. "All that matters is your body in one piece intact."

"I need my book," I repeated firmer this time around while pulling away after prying at her arm. "Please. I can't leave without it."

Cursing under her breath, she lets me go and darted back to where my tattered copy of Little Women laid after grabbing me out in a hurry. I had yet to figure out what was happening, but I had come around to know and accept that she won't hurt me much like Nicolai. They tolerated my existence at best.

She tossed the book to me and then continued to drag me out. I followed behind her, trying to catch my breath as she ran out of the estate now with me barely able to catch up. I noticed many guards I've never seen around the perimeter, swarming the area with radios and rifles.

"This is just the beginning."

Anthony's voice rang through my head as I stared at the men. Thousands will die if I didn't go back to Robert at the end of the week. The thought of escaping to going back had swarmed my day, assaulting me whenever I was alone. I could play ignorance because Gedeon hasn't said anything, but how long can I play dumb?

How long before he realized I'm not worth it?

"Wait, where's Aleksei and Ana?" I asked with perplexity.