Nine: Dove

Nine:

Dove

"This is so exciting cooking with you and my brother," Anastasia chirped in excitement, as she dug out baking ingredients on the top drawer of the huge kitchen we were in. It seemed the kitchen had enough supplies to feed half of America. "It's been way too long because no one here wants any bakes goods when I offer. Everyone here loves red meat more than anything else."

"So why are you taking out baking shit?" Aleksei asked as he caught the bag chocolate chips with ease without so much as a warning from Anastasia who hopped off the counter for the fridge next.

"Because we're going to celebrate our newest family member which means we're baking! You know, like when it's someone's birthday and you get cakes and sweets," she declared loudly as she set the cartoon of eggs onto the counter and looked at her brother with her lips pressed together for a moment before she titled her head. "Do you need an apron too? Or you going to cook in your expensive pair of sweatpants and sweater?"

"Woah, I never said I'll be baking with you,"

"It'll be fun, and wasn't your job to entertain Dove?"

"Technique, it was to just make sure she doesn't do anything crazy and reckless," he corrected with a laugh. "So, what are you making exactly?"

"Well, the other maids have already started to prep for dinner, so I figured we could bake some brownies. It's simple enough and everyone loves brownies in this household," she said with a giant grin.

"Unless you're Gedeon."

"He doesn't like any sweets," Anastasia explained to me before I could ask as she sighs, placing one of her hands onto her cheeks, cupping it. "I mean, who doesn't like sweets? Only a monster wouldn't."

"That's exactly what he is anyways," Aleksei joked with a smile before poking at me with a wink. "Unless his darling little wife serves it to him."

I whipped my head to him the same time their eyes fell onto me. I had been more than fine being quiet, enjoying their company but it had been more apparent they wanted me to join in on their conversation. "Me?"

"It'll be a first gift to your husband, like a wedding gift. We Russians love gifts from their wives. It's a sign of devotion, love, and care that they're on their minds," he took a pause and cocked his head to the side as he stared up at the ceiling. "Though I guess it wouldn't apply in this case, but still can give it a go."

"But don't get your hopes up when it comes to Gedeon accepting it, no offense on you Dove. He's very wary of everything and doesn't enjoy much food anyways, like a child," she laughed, flicking off the idea and turned to me with the same warm smile. It was weird, to be treated with this much kindness. Sometimes, I think it's just a trick and yet each day, she's been nothing but kind. "You ever made brownies before?"

I stared at the tray Anastasia had laid in front of me along with other baking ingredients. "I never baked or cooked in my life."

"Well that's all going to change today if Gedeon is putting you to work alongside me, because I love cooking and baking," she announced with her chest puffed out. "While we bake, I would love to get to know you better. We can take turns doing twenty questions between the three of us."

Aleksei groaned loudly. "I don't want to learn more about you."

"Too bad," she sang, sticking her tongue out. A small tug came in the corner of my mouth to see their interaction. It was so much like when Mother was alive, and it made me feel warm to see their bond so strong, despite what kind of things they do for a living. She tapped her chin before snapping her fingers. "Okay, what's your favorite season? Start with something basic and go from there."