Seven: Dove

Seven:

Dove

I looked at the bedroom in awe and in suspicion. It was surreal just how big the room was compared to my own. The Victorian era bedroom was beautiful, in colors of pale white, blue, and grey. There was a vanity table on one side of the room, and a Queen-sized bed on the other side with curtains hung over it. A small table was stationed on either side of the bed, with a small lamp on each. A giant closet was on the side along with a bookshelf. However, what caught my eyes was what was just across the room where the door was.

A giant open framed window with some pillows for one to sit and look out.

"That pretty much wraps up the tour of the estate," Anastasia declared loudly as I forced myself from running to the window to look out. Fortunately, she moved to where the window was and gestured for me to sit next to her. "Well except for the outdoor courtyards, but I doubt either of us would like to catch a cold being out there in this kind of condition. So, I'll just point it from here."

My feet felt like gelatin as I walked over and sat next to her and placed down my Little Women. Peering out the window, I saw the whole estate was still covered in fresh, un-walked snow except for where cars drove and the main entrance from the gates. My eyes hungrily ate up the outside world, from the clear sky above to the acres of trees that was powdered by snow. It was beautiful, and so different from where I was.

It wasn't freedom, and I don't know how miserable I'll be under the torture of someone who's nickname was "Cold Splatter" so I'll enjoy whatever I can. It was already foreign and lucky for Anastasia to be kind and helped apply ointment of my wounds before wrapping up new bandages for me. I had never had another person do that for me. Her eyes would divert from where my mark was on my ribcage after she yelped when she first saw it. Other than that, she was everything I didn't think was possible as a person.

She continued to blab for a few minutes and point out everything, despite the sun was already setting. I had assumed she would give me a stank eye or malicious, but she was by far the kindest. When I wasn't talking, she poked me in the cheeks. "Are you paying attention, Dove?"

"Yes, I'm sorry if it didn't seem like it. I was just rather overwhelmed by everything today," I answered honestly with a tight smile.

"I can only imagine," she laughed, flicking her hand before shooting up from the windowsill seats. "Well, this is your room. Right across from Gedeon, per his request."

To keep a closer eye on me, his caged bird.

"Is it okay if I bother you for a question?" I asked lightly, looking down at my bandaged hands, feeling foreign by talking to someone for this long. "If that is alright with you."

"Oh no, you don't have to be so formal with me," she said, shaking her head in dismay. She crossed her legs and leaned over, looking at me with a smile that was full of kindness and acceptance. "Just talk to me like you would with a friend. What's your question?"

"Why are you so kind towards me when everyone else on the estate seems to hate me?"

She paused and her eyes widened slightly by my bold question. She sat back up, bobbing her legs up and down for a moment before shaking her head. "I don't think anyone hates you, per se. Just your family blood and linage. They'll come around, trust me about that one."

I scrunched my eyebrows together in disbelief. From what I've seen, I was nothing more than a person held hostage for one reason only: a deal. Once their deal was over, I would presume I would be thrown away. As Nicolai stated, I was here until I was done serving my purpose. I knitted my fingers together, twirling my thumbs to the best of my abilities. "So, what exactly would I be doing with my free time here?"