Chapter 34

The Wolf towered over the four. It's eyes focused solely on the small girl.

"Know this child. Their blood will be on your hands. Not mine." It spoke. The Wolf let out a loud howl. The sound caused all four of them to cover their ears. When it was over they saw the creature was now sitting. A confused look crossed both Lyra and Raymond's face.

A black mist leaked from ground. The mist rose forming two vortices. They swirled in various dark colors. The vortices got thicker until they were fully formed. Smaller wolves that looked identical to the large one stepped out of the portals.

"Kill them." The large Wolf instructed. The two hunched down with growls and charged at the group.

"You know I'm normally against fighting animals, but I might make an exception." Raymond said pulling out his staff.

"I don't have a problem." Lyra said cracking her knuckles.

"Well me and them are practically related they're wolves I can turn into a dog." The half monkey explained. Raymond had adopted a lax position, leaning on his staff.

"You think we should put a pin in this conversation?" The girl asked.

"I mean I guess we could." Raymond said, although it was with reluctance.

After those words were spoken; with a quick spin he smacked one of the wolves away like a baseball. While Lyra merely caught the other one by the jaw. She wrestled it to the ground, and threw it at the one Raymond smacked away. The two wolves fell in a heap on the ground.

"Huh that was easier than I thought." Raymond said. Lyra said nothing as she watched behind Raymond as more wolves came out of the portal.

"I think you spoke to soon bud." The white haired girl pointed behind her companion. Raymond deflated visibly.

"Ugh fine." The half monkey struck a pose. "Who wants to go first?" He asked.
---------------------------------------------------------
While Lyra and Raymond were fighting off the wolves David had cleared out with Riley. Stopping in a nearby alleyway he placed the young girl on the ground.

"I have to go help them." He told her.

"But I can help." The girl cried.

"I know you can. Trust me I know, but I can't let him get to you. So you stay here until you see your opportunity okay?" The older boy asked.

"Alright. Just be careful." She told him.

"Always." he said with a wink. Just like that he took off running.
---------------------------------------------------------
Raymond and Lyra for their part were doing a fine job combating the wolves. Unbeknownst to Raymond though one of the wolves was primed and ready to pounce on the half monkey's back.

Turning around all his golden eyes could see was the open mouth of the wolf. However it didn't get close to him as a blur forced the wolf away. Raymond saw David had taken the wolf's place in front of him.

"Nice job kid." The older of the two said with a thumbs up. David smiled as he took off again. Every time a wolf dropped to the might of Raymond and Lyra, David scooped them up and threw them back in the portals.

All the while the large wolf watched on. Seeing a momentary weakness from the white haired girl the giant canine charged ahead. It's maw opened ready to consume the girl inside It's belly.

Feeling the tremors in the ground the girl's electric eyes went wide at the sight. The other's watched on as the girl was consumed by the giant wolf. Riley (hidden in the alley) felt her heart wrench at the sight. Another person dead in an attempt to protect her.

Raymond had a neutral expression on his face. That is until a small smirk crossed his face.

The giant wolf just stood there. It's face was contorted in discomfort. It closed its big eyes and shook it's head. All of a sudden its mouth slowly, opened revealing the white haired girl. With her tremendous strength she managed to pry open it's mouth. Raymond leapt into the beast's mouth after her.

"So come here often?" He asked nonchalantly.

"Oh yeah totally. I love getting eaten by giant wolves in broad daylight." She said sarcastically.

"You're a complicated lady." He said with a cheeky smile.

"Could you help me please!? I can't keep this up forever!" She yelled to him

"Oh right. Sorry about that." He said. Staff in hand it extended inside the mouth of the beast keeping it open. The two promptly jumped down away from the wolf. The giant canine shook it's head all about in an attempt to get the staff out of it's mouth.

As soon as they touched the ground Lyra immediately tried to get the slobber out of her hair, and off her jacket.

"I definitely need a shower after this." She said in disgust.

Eventually the wolf got the staff out of it's mouth. Spitting the weapon out of it's mouth. The beast faced the two baring it's fangs with a growl. With decisive steps it stalked the two. As the wolf got closer it's back legs suddenly gave out.

It's eyes immediately locked with Riley's. The girl came out of her hiding spot with both hands out. Her icey blue eyes were now pitch black, the whites of her eyes non existent.

Shifting it's head it noticed that it's kin were gone. The only thing left being David with his arms crossed triumphantly. Slowly the wolf was being forced back into the underworld by Riley.

"Defeating me is meaningless." It spoke. It's back feet were now touching the portal. "You will face your destiny sooner or later child." It said.

"Hey Lyra let's expedite this process shall we?" Raymond asked his companion.

"With pleasure." The girl responded.

They both approached the wolf and reared back their fists. With all their combined they punched it right in the snout. The force of their punches pushed the giant canine the rest of the way through the portal. Said portal vanished immediately after the wolf went through.

Afterwards David ran to check on Riley. Her eyes were back to normal, and she seemed mildly fatigued, but no worse for ware.

"That was awesome! I knew you were strong, but holy hell!" Raymond said to his friend. He had his hand up waiting for Lyra to reciprocate in a high five.

With a half hearted eyeroll and a small smile she obliged him.