Chapter 18

In a condemned building on the eastside of Harlem we see a young man barely in his twentys. He had bruises all over his body, some worse then others. His head was shaved, and he had huge bags under his eyes. The guy was as skinny as a toothpick. Sweat was pouring down his brow despite the cool autum night.

Letting out a pained groan he covered his eyes with both hands. Opening them again his eyes were red and glassy. Feeling a lurch in his abdomen the man jumped up and proceeded to throw up. When the contents of his stomach was emptied he wiped his mouth with his forearm. Lying back down all the pain returned. Curling up in a fetal position sleep eventually claimed him.
---------------------------------------------------------
He could've been asleep for a few minutes or a few hours, but he was awoken by the sound of the doorknob. His eyes opened wide in terror. Fearful that he might get another beating for money he doesn't have. When the door opened he felt like a balloon with all the air being let out. The man wanted to laugh, cry, dance and so many other emotions. As soon as he saw the white hair he knew he was safe.

"Lyra!" He cried. His voice was hoarse and dry. Shooting up he launched at her with his arms wide open. His arms wrapped around the girl's shoulder and he buried his head in her hair. He couldn't help, but let out a few tears happy to see the girl. Lyra wrapped her arms around his middle and pat his back while he cried. After a few minutes she let go. Grabbing his shoulders she lightly pushed him back so she could look him over. With an exasperated sigh she finally spoke.

"You look like shit Charlie." She told him. He couldn't help the smile on his face. "You smell like shit too." She added. Charlie didn't say anything just chuckled lightly.

"C'mon I'm getting you out of here." The blue eyed girl said.
---------------------------------------------------------
"How did you find me?" Charlie asked scarfing down food. The two were seen at a twenty four hour diner. After their escape Lyra made sure that he was fed.

"Mom called me, told me you were missing. She thought I had something to do with it." Lyra told him.

"Mom worries to much. I don't know why she blames you for my shit." Charlie answered shoveling fries in his face. Lyra looked down at her soda, visibly tense at the mention of their mother.

"Well you are her favorite child who can do no wrong." She said bitterly. Charlie stopped eating, visibly deflating at her words.

"I'm sorry Lyra." He said softly.

"It's not your fault mom hates me Charlie." She told him.

"I don't if that counts for something." Lyra said nothing at that. They were quiet for some time.

"Charlie." The blue eyed girl said. The man met his sisters electric blue eyes.

"You're using again." She stated matter of factly. Leaning back in his seat charlie crossed his arms.

"Lyra." He started, but the girl cut him off.

"Don't Lyra me Charlie." She said.  Her voice left no room for argument. "I can't keep bailing you out of this shit." She said exasperated.

"I know, I know that! I'm trying I need help Lyra." He said.

"You say that every time! Then I get a call from Mom, blaming me for your drug problem. Then I have to come and save you from some life threatening situation. Do you have any idea what I had to do find you?" She shouted in the small diner. The few costumers that were inside stared at the sibling pair. Charlie said nothing, but the look of shame on his face was apparent. With her brother's continued silence the white haired girl spoke again. Softer this time.

"I have a life to live Charlie. I have things I want to do. I wanna see the world Charlie, and I can't do that if you keep getting into trouble." She explained hoping to get through to her brother. A single tear slipped out of Charlies face.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry Lyra." He said more tears falling. Getting out of her booth Lyra went to her brother's wrapping an arm around him, letting him get it all out.

"I know it's wrong. I know it's unfair, but when I'm not using it hurts so bad. It feels like I'm drowning with zero chance of breathing again. I don't know what to do." He said still crying.

"I can get you help Charlie. I can get you in rehab." Her brother nodded.

"I'll go." He whispered.
---------------------------------------------------------

After paying in the diner the siblings were seen on the streets of New York. The white haired girl was taking her brother to a hotel room so he could sleep off his aches and sorrow. They would go to the rehab center in the morning. They were in front of said hotel when someone blocked their path.

"Zhao Chen FBI. I believe you have some information on a wanted fugitive." The man said showing the wanted poster of Raymond. Lyra's heart sunk to her stomach. This couldn't be good.