Chapter 1

It was a cold rainy night out on the streets. The people were in their homes out of fear of getting soaked from head to toe. Only the occasional car could be heard driving on the usually busy streets of the town.

To the naked eye nothing was out of place. That is unless you knew what you're looking for. If you were one of these people you'd see a large bird flying in the rain. It had brown feathers, with a yellow beak, and feet. In it's talons was a stick no bigger than a ruler. What was odd about this bird however was that it also had a small bag strapped to it's back.

The bird flew overhead undeterred by the weather. It's eyes were wide open searching and scanning it's surrounding. It took awhile, but eventually the large bird found it's target. Folding it's wings inward, the avian resembled a missile. Before it made contact with the roof of a building it's wings opened wide stopping it from the previous dive.

In the blink of an eye the bird had vanished completely. Landing on two feet, a new figure replaced the creature. What was now on the roof appeared to be a person. It was wrapped in a long black jacket, and a hood was obscuring the view of the person. Another noticeable thing about the person was the large stick it held in it's left hand. It was around six feet long, and had silver plating on both ends.

Walking over to the edge of the roof it placed one boot covered foot on the ledge, leaning forward. Across from the persons current location was a large house with a large gate. Reaching into it's pocket, the person pulled out a small chain with a pendant hanging off it. Looking down at the gate the person saw the same symbol of the pendant on the gate. The pendant in question was in the shape of a wolf's head. With a nod the person pocketed the pendant. Hopping up and down the mysterious person started limbering up.

"Go time." It's voice rumbled out.
---------------------------------------------------------
"Honey, honey wake up." A woman spoke. She was in her early thirties with her red hair pulled up by various pins. Her husband grumbled in his sleep rolling over. Rolling her eyes she shook her husband harder. "Wake up! I think someone is in the house." She hissed at him. Reluctantly the man opened his eyes. Pulling the covers off himself he opened the drawer to his bed side table. Inside was a revolver and a box of bullets. Opening the barrel he loaded his gun.

"Stay here don't leave this room until I say so." The man grumbled to his wife. Leaving his room he closed the door behind him quietly. Gun in hand the man walked down the dark hallways in the house. The rain hammered on the ceiling, and walls of the house.

Each part of the house was clear of intruders. Annoyance gripped at the man, and he headed back to his bedroom in a huff. He was about to reach for the door of his room to berate his wife, when he saw it. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the door at the end of the hallway slightly ajar. Light poured out of the opening to the door. His heart sank to his stomach at the sight. The man usually kept that door shut so his kids wouldn't go in there.

Gathering his courage he slowely headed towards the cracked door. Opening the door quickly the man stepped inside holding the gun out toward any intruder in his home. However the room was completely empty. Slowly the man lowered the weapon, a single bead of sweat dripped down his temple.

Right when he was about to relax the man heard the door across the hall open. Turning around he saw the cloaked figure. The man raised his gun up to fire at the intruder. However the intruder in black yanked the gun away from the home owner before he had the chance to fire. Weaponless the man threw a punch at the cloaked intruder. Grabbing the mans wrist the cloaked figure threw him across the room to his desk. Grabbing the home owner before he could get up, the intruder forcibly placed him in his desk chair.

"I'm not here to hurt you or your family." The hooded person said. The man's eyes widened at the intruders words. Releasing a breath he didn't realize he was holding, he said.

"Could've fooled me." Regarding the homeowner the intruder backed away taking a seat on one of the chairs in front of the desk. Reaching into one of his pockets, the hooded person placed a pendant on the desk. The man behind the desk appraised. it briefly, recognition immediately flashed his eye.

"Where did you get this?" He asked the intruder. Leaning forward the person said.

"That was the only thing I could find in the wreckage of a burned down house " The man in the chair deflated slightly.

"This was my dad's." The home owner said.

"Well apparently your dad was into some shady shit." The hooded person said.

"That's putting it lightly." The homeowner said.

"I'm going to cut to the chase here. Your dad was in this house twelve years ago. He burned it to cinders, and killed a woman, and stole something that wasn't his." The person said.

"Well if it's revenge you're after; I hate to break it to you, but he's dead." The man behind the desk said.

"That's fine. Your dad was a single rung on a ladder. I just want to know who the other's on the ladder are." The intruder said.

"And you want my help? What if I say no?" The man asked.

"I start breaking fingers." Was the reply.

"If I do help you what then?" A second question was asked.

"You help, I leave and never come back." Was the answer.

"Fine if it keeps my family safe then so be it." The man said standing. Walking over towards a painting, he opened it like a door, revealing a safe.

"Dad always kept a journel of all the job's he did. Everything you could want should be in here." With the safe now open the homeowner handed the intruder a book. It was leather bound and held shut by a strap. The front was embroidered with the name 'Stan Wheeler'.

"Thank you kindly, I'll see myself out." The cloaked person said. Walking out the door. With a deep sigh the man picked up his gun heading back to his bedroom.

"Are you ok!? You were gone for so long!?" His wife asked in near hysterics.

"It's fine, It's fine. The cat's were fighting again that's all." He told her.

"But, but." She tried to say words, but failed miserably.

"It's fine. Everything is ok. Go back to sleep honey ok." He said getting back into bed. Feeling at ease at her husbands reassurance she was able fall asleep.