Chapter 36

It took longer than Lyra would have liked, but finally the duo had made it to their destination. Las Vegas Nevada. It was mostly smooth sailing after their set back in Iowa. However Raymond did get briefly distracted in Colorado. After parking the bike in a garage the two got off.

"I still wish you would've let me check out that campus in Colorado." Raymond complained.

"And I told you that we were on a deadline." She said.

"Did you even look at the pamphlet that guy gave us they have a foosball table!" The half monkey cried indignantly.

"Is that really the only selling point to going to a community college Raymond?" The girl asked slightly irritable.

"I mean in this pamphlet." He started holding up said pamphlet. "It's got pictures of alumni. This guy became a lawyer, and married this woman who also went to the school. Apparently she works in forensics for the FBI now. And this guy-" however Raymond was cut off by Lyra grabbing the pamphlet from Raymond

"Ok first things first. It's a community college do you really think that a school that advertises a foosball table could produce a lawyer and forensics officer?" She asked.

"We all got to start somewhere. Have you never heard of humble beginnings?" The half monkey asked. Lyra deflated at that. He (much to her chagrin) had a point. "Besides crazier things can happen. Look at our lives. We just fought a giant wolf, and you're skeptical over a community college's alumni." Raymond said. His golden eyes were twinkling, because he knew he had won.

"Fine. I guess you make a few fair points." She said begrudgingly.

"Can I have the pamphlet back please?" The golden eyed man asked. With a sigh she handed it over.

"Why do you care so much about this anyway?" She asked blue eyes inquisitive. Raymond rotated his neck left to right a few times; an outward display of him thinking over his answer.

"I don't know. The idea of higher education always interested me. It would give me the chance to learn a bit about myself." The half monkey paused briefly before continuing. "I mean I don't know what you were doing before all this, but I've just been on the move. Never staying in any place to long. I didn't finish regular school, and I just want to imagine a life where I'm just a normal guy." He explained to Lyra.

At her companion's confession she regarded him in a new light. The normally annoying guy she traveled with had more to him then meets the eye. It was then she realized how little she actually knew about him. Lyra had no idea why he was traveling cross country or why Zhao Chen wanted him dead.

"It's pretty dumb isn't it?" Raymond asked. The man was clearly nervous about her opinion on the matter. The white haired girl never thought in a million years she would see him looking so insecure.

"No Raymond it's not stupid at all." She said in an effort to sooth him. The half monkey shot her a grateful smile.

"Heck if I go here maybe the FBI lady can help me clear my name." He said as an after thought. Lyra chuckled at his change in demeanor.

"Tell you what we'll go back when this all blows over what do you say?" She asked him.

"Yeah that sounds awesome." He said.

"Ok so aside from the married couple is there any other note worthy alumni?" She asked.

"Well apparently there was a guy who graduated here that made a successful TV show." Raymond said.

"Really? Maybe I should look into this place too." Lyra said.
---------------------------------------------------------
"Alright I'll handle this." The two were seen in a fancy hotel and casino.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Lyra asked.

"Please I got this." He said full of confidence. After speaking with the lady at the desk Raymond came back to Lyra.

"Alrighty we got a room. Nothing to fancy, but we're all set up." The half monkey said.

"How the hell did you pull that off?" The girl asked.

"Oh I just gave the girl some money. It's crazy right?" He asked. The half monkey began to walk away before she pulled him back.

"Where the hell did you get money from?" She asked. Though it was more of a demand.

"The fight club, remember?" He asked as though she forgot.

"No I remember I just thought you gave it to David and Riley." The white haired girl said.

"Oh I did." He answered.

"Raymond you are not making this easy right now." Lyra said clearly exasperated.

"Oh right sorry. Well I placed a five thousand dollar bet on myself to win." The half monkey explained. Completely flabbergasted the girl felt one of those headaches coming on.

"You mean to tell me that you didn't have five thousand, but fifteen thousand on you." She stated.

"Yes that would be correct." Raymond answered. With a mighty sigh Lyra said nothing more. Turning her back to her companion she headed to nearest elevator.
---------------------------------------------------------

"So what's the plan?" Lyra asked in there hotel room.

"Well I plan to sleep for many hours. I'll probably be dead to the world for a day or two." He said with a yawn.

"Raymond we don't have time for you to sleep that long." She said in a scolding tone.

"We got nothing, but time Lyra. From what you said the old guy lives here. You did your research he's not going anywhere." Raymond said getting comfortable in the bed. "You should rest up too." He added.

A part of her wanted to argue, but she just didn't have the strength to. When she thought about it he was definitely right. She needed to rest up. The girl couldn't remember the last time she slept. Not being able to fight the sandman for much longer she crawled into her own bed.

"Goodnight Lyra." Raymond's voice rang out into the room.

"Goodnight Raymond." Lyra reciprocated. The two fell into the land of dreams free from their impending troubles. They were allowed to have this momentary peace.
---------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:

I don't do these. Like at all, but this chapter deserves it. This is a love letter to something that has become very important in my life both personally and in my writing.

Thank you all so much for the continued support I appreciate you.