Chapter 47

Inside Lyra's room, said girl had attempted to stay awake at Raymond's side. Although it was to no avail. The events of the previous night had finally caught up with the girl. No matter how hard she tried to fight it sleep eventually won.

Unfortunately for Lyra her bed was currently occupied by a sleeping half monkey. Which is how she found herself sound asleep, face down, on her desk, hunched over in a chair.

A loud thud echoed within Lyra's room; causing the girl to shoot ramrod straight from her previous position. A hiss leaked out between gritted teeth, her hand immediately clutched at her injured ribs. The pain coursed through her like a bolt of lightning. The scarred girl heard a low groan behind her. Slowly turning she noticed her bed was vacant of it's single occupant. Her heart rate spiked at the sight, then she heard another groan.

"Ray!" She cried out. The pain in her ribs forgotten she went around the bed to find him face down in a heep on her floor. Kneeling down she grabbed his uninjured arm slowly pulling him up to a seated position. "What were you thinking?" She asked once his back was to the bed frame.

"I think we both know I wasn't." He responded. His voice was dry and horse. Lyra left to the bathroom returning shortly with a glass of water in her hand.

"Here." She said handing him the glass. Raymond took the glass downing its contents in a swallow.

"Thanks" he said out of breath. Lyra sat down next to her friend. The two friends were on the floor, legs in front of them, and backs to the bed frame. The two were quiet for a moment, before Raymond spoke up.

"How long was I out for?" He asked her. Lyra shrugged in response before checking the clock on the wall.

"I got us here at three or four I think." She said. "So probably around fifteen hours." She answered. Raymond said nothing, before finally looking down at his arm. Pain radiated off of it, and it was tightly bandaged. The half monkey hadn't seen his battle wound yet.

"I have to ask, and be completely honest with me. What does my arm look like. Like is it gross looking or is it like kind of cool?" He asked. Lyra couldn't help, the small tired chuckle that escaped her.

"Ow." she said holding her ribs. "I can't really say. I was in total autopilot mode when I bandaged your arm." She said trying to keep the pain out of her voice. The tailed man noticed her slight hiccup.

"What about you? How are you holding up?" He asked his own pain going to the back of his head. His golden eyes locked with Lyra's electric eyes. Lyra could see the genuine sincerity and concern in his eyes.

"My ribs hurt aside from that I'm okay. You don't have to worry about me though." She told him.

"You're my friend of course I'm going to worry." He said to the girl. A small smile crossed her lips. It wasn't long before it vanished. The memories of the previous night surfacing.

"What was that thing Ray?" She asked. Raymond shuddered at the question.

"Let me ask you." He said ignoring her question. "When you found out about your biology (not wanting to use the f word) did you research the myths?" He asked her.

"Not extensively. I researched my side of the bloodline. Anything else I know isn't a whole lot." She answered.

"When I found out who contributed to my DNA. I did so much research on him, and other Chinese myths. I even learned other myths of different pantheons. That can only be one person. Xing Tian." Raymond told her.

"Xing Tian?" She asked. Her knowledge of Chinese myths admittedly wasn't vast.

"He's the indomitable one. Xing Tian was general to the Yan Emperor, or the Flame Emperor. They were at war with the Supreme Divinity, or the Yellow emperor. The Flame Emperor lost the war, but Xing Tian refused to stop fighting. For his refusal to stop the Supreme Divinity cut his head off, and buried it as a show of disrespect. Time went on, and his headless corpse rose and took flame. He was ready to keep fighting." Raymond explained. Lyra absorbed this information, but she was confused.

"I don't understand. Why would someone like that pretend to be an FBI agent, and why is he after you? I mean no offense, but someone that storied, and powerful should be focused on other things not your staff." Lyra told.

"No I agree. I don't understand it either." The half monkey said. Before another word could be said the sound of banging on Lyra's door reached their ears. Her electric blue eyes changed from soft and gentle to anger, and frustration. It took her a minute to get to her feet. The entire time the banging didn't cease. Slowly she walked toward her door, and whipped it open.

"What!?" She barked at the woman behind the door.

"The hell you doing in here?" She asked with a scowl.

"None of your damn business." Lyra answered back coldy. The older woman merely glared back until she noticed Raymond on the floor.

"Looks like your friend is awake." Lyra's mom stated.

"Yeah he is. Your observation skills are amazing." The girl barked back. The woman's face maintained the same level of acidity.

"Well he's awake. I want you out by morning." The woman said.

"Whatever." Lyra said before slamming the door shut. Slowly she sank to the floor next to Raymond again.

"I'm sorry." He said softly.

"For what?" Lyra asked confused. Raymond shrugged before answering.

"Getting hurt. Making you come back here. That must be hard to deal with." The half monkey said. He didn't think there was such a thing as an evil mother, but this woman proved him wrong.

"Ray. You saved my life up there. I'd happily deal with her shit to make sure you were okay." She told him honestly.

The half monkey's golden eyes widened at her proclamation. A warmness settled into pit of his stomach. His emotions got the better of him as his eyes got red, and a few tears fell. He didn't want her to see him cry so he quickly wrapped his arms around her shoulders. He was careful not to squeeze to hard or to jostle her in anyway.

The girl hadn't expected her friend to hug her. Normally she'd push him off, or punch him, but she just couldn't find it in herself to do it. He clearly needed this, and if she was honest with herself she did to.

Raymond's body was shaking from the tears, but despite how bad his arm hurt, Xing Tian, and saying goodbye to his mother he was happy. He had a friend who had his back. Something that he wasn't used to, but wanted to be.