Chapter 45

The full moon was out. The light shined bright on the lonely road. Although the road wasn't completely alone.

The rumble and roar of Laura's motorcycle echoed into the night. The scarred girl was driving as far as she could away from the hellish horrors of the last few hours. The sight of their would be assassins burned to ashes would haunt her for some time.

It wasn't their death that would stay with her. It was how Raymond did all he could to keep her unscathed from the monster. The sickening smell from his burning flesh. The awful sight of his arm.

Her friend was currently passed out behind her on the bike. His full weight was pressed against her back. She drove at a speed that would jostle him as little as possible. Lyra eventually pulled over, and secured the half monkey so she could think. Getting off she started to pace one hand on her head the other on her hip.

"Shit, shit, shit!" She yelled to herself. The girl punched a tree in front of her taking a huge chunk out of it. "Damn it Ray. What kind of war have you started?" She asked her unconscious friend.

Taking a deep breath the auburn haired girl tried to calm her frazzled mind. She wracked her mind trying to figure out a place to take Raymond. The hospital was out of the question. He was still wanted.

A realization dawned on her. She gritted her teeth, and squeezed her knuckles white. Anger coursed through her veins. One look at Raymond though caused her to deflate. He looked pale, and his arm looked horrible. The half monkey needed help, and she was the only person who could help. Determination set in Lyra got back on the bike.

"I'm going to take care of you Ray don't worry." She said starting the bike back up. "I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened to you." She said to herself.
---------------------------------------------------------

It took two hours, but Lyra finally made it to her destination. It was the last place on earth she wanted to be. Well the second to last place. Lyra got off her bike and placed Raymond over her shoulder. The scarred girl walked up to the front door of a shabby house. Her knuckles rapped softly on the door.

The pit in the girl's stomach felt like it was trying to claw itself out of her body. Her face felt hot, and her eyes stung. The door eventually opened revealing an older woman in her mid to late forties with hair lighter than Lyra's dark auburn hair. The woman had looked annoyed by Lyra's disturbance, but her face twisted into a scowl at the sight of the electric eyes on her.

"What the hell do you think you're doing here?" The woman asked in a disgusted tone. Lyra didn't answer she just barged right through the open door ignoring the woman entirely. "Don't you ignore me Lyra! You really think you can just waltz right in?! After what you did!?" The woman demanded. It didn't take much for Lyra to figure out she was drunk. She was always drunk. A bald man came into the room.

"What the hell are you yelling about!?" He barked at the older woman not noticing Lyra. He was drunk too.

"Shut the hell up Dale! It's just my good for nothing daughter!" Lyra rolled her eyes at the comment. Of course it hurt to hear, but she had more important things to deal with. Like helping her injured friend. Leaving her mother and Dale to fight she went to her old room. Thankfully it was left alone after all this time. Opening her closet Lyra grabbed her first aid kit she had.

Dumping Raymond on the bed she got to work cleaning up Raymond's burned arm, followed by applying an anti burn cream. The final thing she did was wrap his arm up in gauze.

"That's the best I can do for you Ray. Hopefully you wake up soon." She said. Getting a new set of clothes Lyra left to her bathroom. Closing the door behind her, Lyra's electric eyes looked back at her.

She was startled at first. She hadn't seen her own reflection in a long time. Not her real reflection. The scars on her face down to her neck. Her natural hair color. She couldn't help the small smile on her face though. The only reason she took her earring out was because of Raymond. Her smile disappeared remembering that her friend lay catatonic in her bed. With a sigh and a shake of her head the girl headed into her shower to clean off all the dust and blood from Vegas.

After getting out of the shower, Lyra hid in her room for a half an hour. Eventually she had to leave to get food for herself and Raymond. Though her mother was waiting for her.

"You really thought you could just walk into this house again? After what you did to your brother?" She asked.

Charlie's death still hurt her heart. Her baby brother. She did all she could to keep him on the straight and narrow. He went to New York for college. Had his whole life ahead of him, and he threw it all away, and their mother still hated her. She was about to retort, but Dale came into the room again with a pistol in his hand. The man pointed the gun at the girl's head.

"Now you listen here." He started, but wasn't able to finish. The auburn haired girl had grabbed the barrel of the pistol and ripped it from his hands. The girl hit the man in the face with the but of the gun, his nose leaked like a faucet.

"Lyra!" Her mother cried appalled by what happened. Lyra turned the gun to her mother.

"Alright. I got the talking gun now." Lyra said. She was fed up with all the abuse she's had to endure. "Dale buzz off. I have something to say to my mother." Lyra said. Her electric blue eyes burned with frustration and anger at her mother. Dale left to the bathroom to clean his face.

"So what you're gonna kill me? Just like you did to Charlie?" She asked.

"Shut the hell up!" Lyra yelled. "Now listen up and listen well mom. I didn't kill Charlie. You killed Charlie!" Lyra accused. Her mother tried to fight back, but the gun was pointed right at her. "Charlie was your golden boy, he could do no wrong. Even when he was off partying hard you did nothing to stop him. You encouraged him! He never would have died if you had just been a parent to him, to me!" Lyra cried. The scarred girl wasn't done though. "So here's what happens next. I'm going to stay here til my friend wakes up. When he does I'm leaving, and I'll never come back. If you ever loved me at any point in your life you'll leave me alone, and let me help my friend." Lyra said. After she was done she threw the gun to the ground and stormed out of the house. Her mother was stunned silent at Lyra's outburst. After a few minutes the woman left to check on her man's injured face.
---------------------------------------------------------

An: Thank you so much for 7k! I love and appreciate every one of you.