Cat Chapter 36

'Shit.'

'Shitshitshitshit shit shit fuck fUCK.'

"Sanzo! We're not lost, are we?!" She shouted.

The crow turned his head back to her, a sharp glare in his eyes. Despite not saying anything, his eyes alone was screaming at her to just follow him and run as fast as she can get.

She was grateful at that, at least he's as determined as her to get there as fast as they can. It disappeared almost immediately when she realized the time.

It's already past midnight. They're still nowhere near the slayers in risk.

'Argh–dammit fuck–' Hotaru reach out and snatched Sanzo from midair, earning a squawk of indignation and confusion. She threw him behind her at Shinobu, who luckily caught him, before Hotaru picked more of her pace.

Hopefully, Akaza won't kill her, or at least will go easy on her. Because she's gonna pour everything on her speed to get there as soon as possible.

Hotaru saw it. She saw them.

She pushed more into her legs, using her breaths to get there faster.

Tanjiro, Inosuke, Zenitsu, and Nezuko are standing side by side, their weapons drawn and their stance protective. Along them are Kanao and Genya. They're all standing by Kyoujuro, fending off the demon as he recover his strength to stand back up.

Finishing the whole manga after successfully pouring glasses of tears, she definitely saw the similarity between Tanjiro and Kyoujuro.

They're both a completely warm presence that are recklessly kind and encouraging to every person they meet. Zenitsu and Inosuke always follows Tanjiro around and fights with him, and she saw how the three latched into Kyoujuro the same way almost immediately.

They both lost their fathers early, Tanjiro's father from sickness and Kyoujuro's father falling into a depressive state just after his mother's death. Both of them took responsibility, being the oldest male sibling capable of taking care of things.

Being the oldest sibling, it's always been their job and responsibility to take care of their younger siblings. They took the father's role as the olders and took the responsibility themselves. How they deal with their siblings must have stuck on how they also deal with everyone else.

Without a doubt, anyone can call them kind and selfless. They're fighting for the sake of their precious people and their responsibility.

But sometimes, selflessness could go wrong.

Kyoujuro spend his life entirely for others to the point where he found it alright for him to sacrifice himself. Kyoujuro's too selfless to the point where he can no longer take care of himself. Hotaru knows, she's been with him and have seen it herself.

He fought until the end even when Akaza had him cornered. He let himself get injured and sacrifices himself until the sun came out.

But in the end, his sacrifice was wasted. Akaza gets away anyway. His brother was left alone with his abusive father, and the guilt and responsibility was passed onto Tanjiro.

Just like Sabito left Giyuu, Kyoujuro left Tanjiro with the guilt that he should have been the one to die, and Kyoujuro should have lived because he was stronger. She wasn't there, but she saw it clear.

Too much selflessness could lead to one's selfishness. You can't take it all by yourself.

'That's just not fair.'