Cat Chapter 3

"Show me!"

"Fuck no! This is a private letter, geezer!"

"You've been recieving continuous letters from a stranger! They could be dangerous!"

"I told you they're fine! We're just neutral companions, and the person doesn't know who I really am anyway!"

"You hard headed brat-"

Kamado Tanjiro stood at the doors staring dumbfounded at the scene. Urokodaki was currently wrestling with a woman with dark hair and fierce green eyes. They were sprawled on the ground, Urokodaki above her while she has her arm stretched behind her out of his reach.

Overwhelmed with curiosity, Tanjiro can't help but snatch the piece of paper from her. The woman, Hotaru, snapped her head to him with a betrayed gasp, but she can't do anything since the old man was pinning her down.

"Tanjiro, read it to me!" The old man shouted.

"Don't!" Hotaru snapped, trashing against Urokodaki's hold.

Tanjiro hesitated from her glare, but he did do it since he's more afraid at the man at this point.

He started, "'Dearest Hanako,'"

"See! They didn't know!"

"Hush you brat- wait deAREST–?!"

Tanjiro continued. "'The literature you have recommend me was really interesting, the idea of the book have caught my attention. Perhaps you know more of the creators work? I am certainly delighted to know we share the same taste on having interests-'"

"Shitty squirt!" Tanjiro screamed when Hotaru tackled him mercilessly to the ground. She has apparently transformed back into her cat form to get out of Urokodaki's hold, and collided with the boy after she transformed into human.

She took the letter from him, hissed at the two men sprawled on the ground, before bolting out of there. Yes, she did that all in her human form.

The two stared at the door for a moment before Urokodaki huff in irritation.

"Go back to training, kid. You still need some ways to go before you can split the boulder in half." He said, standing up and heading out to probably follow the woman.

Tanjiro scratched his head in confusion, his longer hair brushing his colar bone already, before following what the old man had said. He stood up, pausing to watch his sister breath for a moment, before heading out to the mountains.

It's been a year since his training on the mountains had ended. Now he needed to slice a large boulder in half so Urokodaki will allow him to join the Final selection. He still hasn't made any progress. Nezuko was also still asleep, which didn't help his nerves.

He still can't over the fact that Hotaru can shapeshift from cat to human and vice-versa. Apparently, they just discovered it three years ago. And her transforming is not a pretty sight. Tanjiro saw it the first time, after that he swore to himself that he'll never see her shifting again for the sake of his remaining sanity.

Tanjiro sigh, reminding himself that he needs to finish his stretchings now or he'll be late from his training with Makomo. Then he can finally defeat Sabito and then can finally slice the boulder then Urokodaki will let him join the Final selection.

''-mission came unexpected because a dozen demons suddenly came, but you know there's nothing I can't handle. You know how awesome I am and-''

"How arrogant."

Hotaru screamed, falling from a branch to her bum ungracefully, unlike for someone who's also a cat. She glare at Urokodaki who was not a little bit amused.

"Who was that?" He asked sternly with arms crossed. He was on the branch from where she was before she fell.

"Someone unimportant." She stood up and dusted her clothes off. "And it's none of your damn business old man." She narrow her eyes suspiciously when he didn't even bother snatching the letter away from her.

She sigh. "What's the problem again." Urokodaki just sat on the branch quietly.

Knowing he won't easily just voice any of his concerns, Hotaru climbed on the tree -oh look a splinter- and sat next to him.

"Tanjiro will be cutting that huge boulder soon. He's been training his ass really hard." She mumbled after a beat.

The silence that stretched between them was getting longer than she liked. Slowly, and irk mark appeared on her temple.

Don't get her wrong. She love silence. It let's her peacefully sleep and doze off whenever she wanted, even if the everything was tense and people around her was uncomfortable.

But knowing that something was bothering this man currently beside her was making her irritated. Can't he just say whatever the stuff he needed to say? Was the tension really necessary? No, it wasn't.

She sigh in irritation. "If you're not going to spill shit then I would like to return to my readi-"

"Will the kid really be able to slice the boulder?" He cut her off.

She paused, looking at him with disbelief. "Not this shit again, Urokodaki." She grumbled. "You know you can't stop him from joining the Final selection. He's been training nonstop. He'll be okay."

Urokodaki chuckled bitterly. "You're aware of how many students I had took in right? And you know how many of them had actually survived." He seems much more older saying that. He cant bear to loose another one of his, especially someone so bright and determined.

Hotaru can feel her heart clenching at the thought. "He'll be fine, old man. He won't die just because of some stupid selection, when he have someone to come back to." She responded.

Urokodaki felt himself relaxing. Of course, Tanjiro still have Nezuko to protect, so he won't die easily. He still need to find a cure for his sister. He'll be back for sure.

"And when he became an official demon slayer..." He trailed off, looking at her expectantly.

Hotaru rolled her eyes. 'Of fucking course.'

"Yeah yeah, I'll be coming with him on his missions. Goddammit." She mumbled the last under her breath before jumping down from the branch.

She smirked at him. "No one will be dying anytime soon, at least not on my watch." She knew that ticked him off. He must be thinking that she'll always be sleeping even when the boy is dying. A scene flashed before her eyes before she mentally shook her head.

"I'll be sleeping now somewhere. And stop worrying over everything, dad." She joked before she went out of his sight.

Urokodaki had paused from jumping down from the branch, rubbing his nape thoughtfully.

'Dad..?'

Meanwhile, Hotaru can be seen on her cat form, rolling around on some patch of grass, the letter forgotten beside her. Her tail was swishing restlessly and her ears were twitching whenever she hears something.

She can't believe she called Urokodaki dad.

Fuckkk.

————————|∞|————————

I'm updating.

This is a big shock.

Like,, I don't know who am I anymore.

No seriously this is creepy.