Cat Chapter 42

She heard the rustling of grass behind her, and she didn't need to turn around to know who it was. She didn't paid him mind, keeping her gaze on the setting sun, even after she saw him sitting beside her carefully from the corner of her eyes. She secured her green blanket around her shoulders and scarf around her neck.

Somehow, the night seems more chilly than usual. Maybe it was the season changing, or maybe it was the lack of warmth she was used to.

"I understand if you don't want to talk now, but please let me stay for a while." She heard him say quietly, totally contrasting from his usual lively tone.

Hotaru sigh, finally sliding her eyes to him. They immediately widen in panic upon her first glance.

"What the– are you crying?!" She yelled. 'Oh Muzan's balls why is he crying did I do that what did I do–'

"No, I'm not," He replied with a sudden laugh, rubbing his uncovered eye with his palm. "Kocho-san simply cleaned my eye. It was stingy so my other eye appears to be red."

'Oh, wow,' She relaxed at that. She honestly wouldn't know what she would do if he cried because of her, be it intentionally or not. Does she pat his head? Or just leave him alone to dry his own tears? Or maybe comforting him like what she do to her brats, bonking heads and hugging included, would be appropriate.

She hopes it won't come to that. She wouldn't like him crying for her. Not him.

Hotaru snap out of her thoughts, seeing him already looking at her. Her glaze went to his bandaged eye, and she found her previous rage resurfacing. "You're an idiot."

He must have saw her glance, because the things he previously did came rushing to him. On why she seems pissed. "I'm sorry, but you know it's my duty, Hotaru." He said, his smile replaced with a serious look.

Hotaru scoffed. "Duty? Is being impatient your duty? Getting yourself almost killed?
To rush headfirst into battlefield without informing any of your fellow slayers and waiting for orders? Then your duty is fucking foolish."

His eye widen. Unconsciously to himself, his fist tightened with his face hardening. "Are you saying that immediately saving people is foolish? That doing your job as a Demon Slayer?" He reminded himself that it's not his father he was speaking with. He knows that she's different, but he can't help but see how similar her words was at the current moment.

This time, Hotaru faced him fully, her fangs almost bared. "What I'm saying was that you should have came back to get back up first! Or at least waited for back up! You'll never know if it's an upper moon!" And it was.

"And let more people die first?!"

"More people would die if you die! Who do you think would save them if you can't?!" Stop. Stop screaming at him.

"Our junior slayers are just as capable on saving people! They will fulfil the duty just like I do!"

In an attempt to calm herself, she took a deep breath. But only bitter words came out from her mouth. "You're so fucking selfish, Rengoku."

"No, it was you being selfish." He said grimly, feeling an emotion he never have felt before with her. "How is it selfish sacrificing myself for the future of other, Hotaru?"

Pain? Perplexed?

She remained silent for a few moments, before she turn her back to him to face the now dark sky.

"It's not sacrificing yourself. You're leaving your responsibility to us."

Betrayed? Dissapointed?