Cat Chapter 20

"So," she started. "I have some questions, I hope you don't mind answering them."

They had departed almost an hour ago. They were still running in a steady pace. Seems like what Tengen had said about traveling for a while was true.

"Sure, Hotaru-san." Tengen nodded. "We'll be sure to answer them as flamboyant as possible."

Hotaru didn't bat an eye at the flamboyant part. "Why am I coming in this mission? You're both really strong and there's no way some demons can overpower two Hashiras." She tilted her head. "Even if they're lower moons."

"We were curious of you, of course!" Kyoujuro proclaimed like that's the answer to all of her questions.

"Curious of me? Why? I'm just simple slayer who can shift into a cat." Hotaru asked. Nothing's making sense here... First Sanemi, then these two. And they're curious of her?

The two men exchange confused glances. Then Tengen slowed his pace to match the two, Hotaru once again in the middle of them.

"Didn't Shinazugawa-san told you during your mission?" Kyoujuro asked curiously.

Hotaru furrowed her brows. "Told me what?" They didn't noticed that they had slowed down to a walk.

"Oyakata-sama seems to think of you as an important piece. A special one, to put it simply." The flamboyant man nodded to himself. "So Shinazugawa-san requested for Oyakata-sama to bring you along on a mission to find out what's special about you." Then he shrug. "Of course we followed as well. Rengoku-san and I was just too flamboyant that we were one of the first ones who got to take you on a mission."

Hotaru blink in confusion. 'But wasn't that mission for couples... Oh.' Hotaru feels really stupid right now. Of fucking course, it's an excuse. Sanemi didn't have to take the mission, he could have handed it to Mitsuri and Obanai. Shinobu may be small, but she's fast and agile, and could eliminate plenty of demons just by her poisons. How fucking stupid, Hotaru. Such a disappointing piece of shi–

"Why are you curious of me anyway? There's nothing special about me other than I can turn into a cat." She said. They began picking up their pace once they realized they were just simply walking.

The two males secretly glance at each other, remembering the night Sanemi told them about what happened during their mission.

"It's true." Sanemi said, munching on a mochi. "She is a prodigal genius. She was too oblivious though."

Obanai narrow his eyes. "Tokito is oblivious too. He's a prodigy, and he's young. What's more special to her?"

"No, you don't understand." Sanemi look at them seriously. "Tokito is aware of his abilities. She isn't. She just thought that she got some skills, even after being surrounded by dozens of demons and annihilating them."

He cast his eyes downwards with a grim expression. "Oyakata-sama had said that it'll be better that way. We wouldn't know what that woman might do if she's aware of her own abilities."

"She might be an ally now, but we wouldn't know after this. We need to be careful."

'There was a deep hatred inside her, much more larger than any of theirs, something wild like a ticking bomb, just waiting for the perfect time to reveal itself and it's nature.'

"Oyakata-sama and Sakonji Urokodaki-san had told us you were very special. Shinazugawa became interested in you. So of course we'll be curious about you too." Tengen grinned.

Hotaru huffed. Seems like she's not gonna get any proper answer from these two anytime soon.

"Besides that," Kyoujuro glance down at her. "We wanted to know more about you, Hotaru-san. Is that wrong?"