1 | never anger an angry father

IT WAS NEVER MY intention to yell at my father but as soon as the loud slur left from my mouth, I couldn't stop it.

My day was going fairly well. I was having brunch with my best friend and my sister at a restaurant. That was how it began.

Elise, my sister was busy reading a book behind the table.
The girl was banned from taking and reading books in public. She had a dire addiction to reading. So much, she barely had a social life.

People barely knew the Maxine's had another daughter.
As a result, here I was, trying to build up her social life by bringing her to brunch with me.

"Elise," I called out but she didn't answer me; seemingly too caught up with her book.

I looked to Joanne, with a knowing look. She simply shrugged in response. I stretched my legs under the table and planted my heels on her sneakers.

Elise yelled in pain. "Seriously Elaine?"

"Give me the book, princess," I told her.

She groaned but didn't protest before she handed me the thick book.
"Look, sweetie." Joanne began, her high pitch voice made my sister grimace. "We want to help you. Trust me, once you hang out with us, you'll have so much fun, go to awesome parties, throw crazy parties-"

"-makeout with hot boys." I added in and Joanne nodded in agreement.

"No thanks." Elsie said, whiles stirring her coffee with her finger (lord knows why). "I know how those kinds of girls end up."

I rolled my eyes and challenged. "Really? How do you suppose, they end up?"

My sister shrugged. "They have the pretty looks and money, they lose the boy they love and the 'nobody girl' gets the guy and becomes more successful."

On cue, we let out a chuckle, that soon turned to hysterical laughter. My chest was burning up as I registered the ridiculous statement she'd just uttered.

Joanne recollected herself before she began. "Aw, you're so cute. How old are you? Fourteen?"

"Eighteen." She muttered bitterly.

"Right. Sweetie that only happens in movies and those silly novels you read-"

I got distracted when I received a message from my father. I frowned because, I have never gotten a direct message from him in years apart from the usual 'happy birthday, how much do you want, this time?'

Apart from that, that was usually it.
I opened my phone and read the message.

I need you and your sister home in a few minutes, we have something important to discuss.

My heart involuntarily thumped against my chest in fear.

Shit, what did I do this time? I didn't go to a party this week. I thought.

The only person that I have genuinely been afraid of is my father. So as I recollected all the memories I did this week, I became a nervous wreck.

Fuck. What did you do this time!

"Uh, Joanne we gotta get back home." I prompted. "Family emergency."

She nodded in understanding. Joanne knew I always got in trouble with my family and the press so these kinds of abrupt stopping of meet-ups wasn't a surprise for her.

I pointed my finger at my sister as I got up, taking my handbag with me and the ridiculously thick book. "C'mon, let's go."

She groaned in relief. "Finally."