29 | stupidity & cuteness

—RECAP—

There was a small silence before he said. "Your mother thought it'll be best to visit you."

For all I knew, I was staying at this damn place for a couple of months...

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why are you acting like I am going to stay here forever?"

Silence.

Wait, what?

Before I could say anything, my father beat me to it. "Who's that person?"

I decided to answer the question. My voice was impassive. "A neighbor."

"A male?"

No. A donkey you bloody moron.

"Does it matter?" I groan.

"It does, Elaine. I don't want you starting that promiscuous behavior. If I hear one—"

I ended up putting him on mute and stuffing the phone in my back pocket.

Arse.

"Let me guess, your mom or dad?" Clint says.

I roll my eyes. "Father. World's Best Dad." I said sarcastically.

God, I thought I'd never heard from him.

Too bad for me, he's coming here to ruin my already ruined life.

Perfect.

—END OF RECAP—

"...So are you going to leave?" I heard a familiar deep voice ask, his voice filled with worry and slight guilt.

"Yeah." Came out cowgirls mumble. "I have to. You know that, right?"

Clint sighed in exasperation. "I'm not stopping you, Ashley."

"I know." She said. "It's just that with what's going on I—"

She abruptly paused when he saw me in view. I was too distraught to even question them so I gave a shaky smile.

Right after I unmuted my dad to hear him ranting about how it was my fault that I was in this position, Clint left me alone.

I was frustrated with my dad. I didn't want him to come here and what pisses me off is the fact that he talked as if I was going to stay in this forsaken place forever.

I huffed. Like that's going to happen.

I didn't realize how bad my hands were twitching until I looked down at them.
God.

I clenched them but that didn't stop it.

"Elaine, are you okay?" I heard cowgirl's cautious voice ask.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lie. Why did he have to come here? Why?
I didn't feel okay, I felt like shit. My heart thumped fast against my chest and my fists were still twitching.

God, I am so scared of my pops, I am starting to get paranoid.

"Your hands are shaking." Clint started.

I breathed in and I said with feigned confidence. "I fine, my dad's a piece of shit and I don't want to talk about it."

They all gave me wary looks but I ignored them.
I cleared my throat, eager to change the subject. "So, um, what were you two talking about?"

There was a slight pause before Clint said, hastily. "It's nothing."

"It sounded important." I tested.

"It doesn't concern you, Elaine." He quipped.

"I know and I don't care, is not my fault you guys were talking so loud." I rolled my eyes, my lips curled to form a small smile.

Clint's eyes darted around the room until he realized something. "I'm going to look for Rosie."

Before he left he pointed his finger at me, warningly. "Don't do anything stupid."

I gave him a sarcastic two-finger salute. "Roger that."

Then he left leaving the blondie and me alone.

Nice.

"Anyway," I say, cooly, leaning my elbows on one of the kitchen islands counters. "Where are you going?"

The said blonde clicked her tongue in annoyance. "It's none of—"

"—'my business', I know, I know," I say, exasperated. "Would it hurt if you told me?"

She contemplated for a while. "Fine."
Blondie sighed and said. "I got a scholarship to BYU but because of certain reasons—which I wouldn't tell you—I might deny the scholarship."

"Are you mental, why would you do that?" I say.

I expected her to seethe out saying that it was 'none of my business' and such nonsense but she instead lowered her head. "Things are complicated okay?" Her voice cracked as she said so.

I felt a pang of guilt and pity but I bit my tongue. The was an eerie silence before I broke it. "Cowgirl—I mean, Ally. I am sorry."

She looked at me in rage. "Really? Is this a joke? My name is Ashley-Anne. Why can't you get it?"

Oh.

"Right." I laughed. "Sorry I forgot, I have a shit memory."

Annie—I mean, Ashley, rolled her eyes. She sighed in annoyance and looked at me in boredom.

"Elaine, I know you're smart. I really do. But sometimes you gotta stop acting dumb, it's not cute as you might think it is."

It is at that moment, anger flared in me. I clenched my fists together and contemplated the best way to pounce at her.

***

whew!

Hello guys!

So I am now back! If you didn't see my message; I was writing some exams so now I am now free and will now have a lot of time to finish SAFAH!

Thanks so much for sticking around.

VOTE AND COMMENT!

BYE!