25 | horse rides

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE, ELAINE?"

I was slightly guilty for not thanking Clint for covering me up when I was drunk last night. I found out that Doris knew nothing about the incident. So, I came to...apologise.

Clint gathered some heavy metal equipment that looked like ho and paced around from place to place, unknowingly flexing his muscles.

"I wanted to apologize," I said, shrugging my shoulders.

He placed the metallic equipment down. "Okay, let's hear it." He gestured with his head for me to continue.

"Sorry for being a..." I trailed off, looking for a suitable word.
A bitch. "A jerk."

"I apologize," I said, thinning my lips.

Clint shook his head in amusement and disbelief. "That has got to be the worst apology I have ever heard."

I narrowed my eyes at him. At least I was doing something.

"But I'll take it." He added, with a small smile before he darted his eyes away.

I clasped my hands together, glad that was passed us. "Okay! so, what are we doing today?"

"We?" He rose his dark brows in questioning. "I didn't think you'd be interested in working."

I scoffed in mock disbelief while Clint said. "And besides," his eyes raked across my body in scrutiny. "You don't look like the type who enjoys working in the sun."

I wiggled my eyebrows. "But I do enjoy watching men working in the sun."

I could see a ghost smile on Clint's lips
"Seriously, though. I want to do something."

He picked up the metallic equipment and urged me to follow him. "I am not working today. I am supposed to have some free time, but my plans changed."

I knew he was talking about me and I couldn't help but grin. "It's almost like you care for me."

Clint scoffed and I grinned even wider.

***

We arrived at a stable of a horse and it was then I realized the metallic equipment was for the horse.

God, I didn't wake up extra early in the morning to be with an animal.

The horse neighed when Clint approached it.

He petted the mussel of the animal and it neighed in content.
The horse was light brown with dark brown spots scattered across its body.

It was certainly a pretty horse. But staring at the animal was a little unnerving.

Clint set up the saddle on the horse and gestured for me to get up on the saddle with him.

"No," I said, crossing my hands across my chest. "I will not get up on that. I could die."

"You won't." He said, optimistically. "I will not let that happen."

I sighed and took his arm and he helped me get up onto the horse without much of a hustle.

He mounted the horse and sat behind me and I unintentionally tensed under the proximity.

"You okay?" He asked, from behind me.

I swallowed and regained my posture. "Just don't drop me."

"Not planning to."

He kicked the horse and we began trotting out of the barn.

The cool humid air blew thicker as the horse accelerated in speed, galloping across the green planes.

The wind was loud and the only thing I could hear was the constant howl.
I unconsciously relaxed at the grasp of Clint.

Knowing I will probably not topple to my death.

The horse slowed down when we arrived at a valley.
Far across the gorge were distant mountains.
The sky was clear blue, but it was a bit chilly.

I was never scared of heights, unlike my sister. But the view below us a beautiful.

A small trail of water passed through the spaces between the large rocky ridges.

Clint helped me get down from the horse.
I looked back from where we came, it was nothing but plane fields.

How long were we on the horse?

"We're not too far, Elaine," Clint admitted, seemingly noticing my confused expression. "Stop worrying."

I said, dreary. "Right."

I gazed at the stunning view in front of me.
Rubbing my hands over my arms in content as the cool air blew.

I felt Clint's presence beside me and I tilted my head towards him, giving a warm smile.

Then I noticed something dodgy.
"You're not going to tie up the horse? It could, I don't know—" I shrugged. "Unintentionally jump off the cliff."

"Birdie is smart, he'll just graze about. He'll not go far." He responded.

At first, I held in a grin before I started to splutter in chuckles, then it was full-on hysterical laughter. "Y-you name your horse birdie?" My stomach clenched and I was starting to tear up. "Birdie! It's a horse, Clint. A horse."

While I laughed my arse out, Clint looked nothing but amused. His eyes narrowed to slits and I noticed the subtle clenching of his jaw.

I coughed, still grinning.

"Very funny," Clint said, his voice dripped in sarcasm.

I shrugged. "Sorry. But why birdie? Why name a horse after a bird. It's...it's odd."

Clint sat on the damp grass and I reluctantly did so.
He stared at the horizon before he looks back at me.
And from the light, his eyes were a  brighter shade of sea green.

He fiddled with a leaf. "The horse isn't mine. So I didn't get to name it."

Deciding to make small talk, I asked. "Would you change it, if you could?"

"No, I like it, And..."

He looked up from the leaf to my eyes. His lips quirked up to form a bewitching smile. "I want to know more about you, Elaine."

Shit.