11 | so...he's not dead

I REGRETTED IT.
I regretted supporting the lad.

Just after my theatrical ranting in support of Rosie,
I felt like what I said was just as equivalent to nothing but a cold, soggy cereal—the one everyone hated.

Clint, rubbed his neck in frustration and guilt before he squatted down to Rosie's height level and gave a simple apology to the kid.

Just like that.

And she casually acknowledged it like her dreadful sobbing never happened.

I was pissed off, to say the least.

I had used my energy and time to support this child and she just blatantly ignored it by accepting her brother's uncivil, excuse of an apology.

This is why I didn't like children.

Ungrateful twats. I thought, bitterly.

"That's it?" I was appalled, my voice was evidence of that.

I mimicked what he had said to the child, in an attempt of a deep gruff voice. "'I'm sorry Rosie, I shouldn't have gotten mad at you, it's not your fault.'"

I switched to a high-pitched voice. "'It's alright, big bro.'"

I gaged. "I just blasted my vocal cords for you and you just say sorry?"

What kind of siblings are these?

Clint rolled his eyes and folded his arms against his chest. "What did you want her to say? 'Screw you'?"

I threw my hands in exasperation. "Yes!"

"I don't like fighting with people." Rosie's now hoarse voice piped in.

I scoffed and murmured to myself. "Of course you don't."

Clint then said, after his eyes widened a bit after short scrutiny. "Can you at least wear your shirt, Elaine?"
His head was turned opposite mine as he tried not to gaze at my exposed skin.

He handed me my shirt.

"What? You're shy?" I said, coyly, enjoying his chagrin.

"Just wear the damn thing. Ashley Anne is probably looking for us." He said quickly and firmly like he was getting irritated.

Without complaint, I wore my shirt back on.

I recognized Rosie's friendly giggle. "You guys are weird."
Her eyes were still red and puffy due to her frantic crying.

Then she added with an optimistic smile. "Let's go."

Wasn't this child crying a minute ago?
I thought.

With that, Rosie took the lead as we ambled out of the woods.

While Rosie was way ahead of us,  Clint and I sluggishly walked behind her.

After a moment of silence, I asked. "What was that about?"

"What do you mean?" He asked, genuinely confused at my question.

"Why didn't you allow her to swim in the lake. I mean it's not like it's some forbidden enchanted lake." I chuckled at the last end.

Then I asked, with doubt. "Is it?"

Clint rolled his eyes at what I said, he then said in an almost grim voice. "I just don't like that place."

Then something drew to me, probably the explanation of his testy mood and anger towards his sister.

"Your dad died there, didn't he?" I said it wasn't a question, it sounded more like a statement and I was suddenly guilty at the number of insults I threw at him.

No wonder why he was so angry at his sister.

He frowned in confusion and terror. "What? No. My dad is in California."

I wave of embarrassment crushed me. "Oh."

Well, bloody me.

"Wait." He said as something drew to him. "You thought my father was dead?"

I bit my lip at the humiliation I caused myself.

"That was the only explanation why you were angry," I confessed. "Plus, you're dad wasn't around at the dinner yesterday, so I kinda assumed he was..."

I trailed off, avoiding eye contact with him.

He threw his head back in laughter as he burst up laughing.

Although I would have been pissed off at that, I found myself gawking at his carefree laugh.

For the past few days, I'd met him, I hadn't seen him laugh and it felt very foreign; almost like walking into a new class and having curious eyes stare at you.

"That's funny." He admitted, with a grin once he stopped his laughter.

"You have a very odd sense of humor." I declared.

He nonchalantly shrugged. "Well, that's why we're different people."

We arrived at the bottom of the hill and approached the bustling market.
"Right," I muttered.

Then, I heard the loud voice of Clint's female friend. "Where the heck we
were you! It's been almost forty minutes."

God, I'm not ready for this. I thought.

 I thought

Hi guys!

Hope y'all are doing well. Finally, I updated!

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting I was having a bit of writer's block. 🤧

Please don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!

P.S. How are you liking Clint, Ashley Anne, and Elaine? I wanna know your thoughts.

Thank you!