16 | marriage & inks

IT WAS COLD WHEN I got up from the bed.

I sat straight up on my bed and checked the time on the analog clock.

7:38 am.

I closed my eyes and run my hands through my hair in frustration.

Memories of bright, flashing cameras attacking my vision as I got out of my car, flushed my memory. The loud accusations and mockery made my chest tighten as my heart started to race.

Suddenly, I reeled back into reality, placing my palms on my chest to relax my accelerating heart rate.

Getting up from the bed, I did my usual routine.

Yesterday, when cowgirl had asked me what had happened in London, I quickly walked away from her before I did something I would regret because I knew if I tried to defend myself, I would do something irrational.

I didn't think the Americans kept up with British tabloids especially in a small town like this.

I thought I could forget what had happened last year but what cowgirl had mention brought a sudden feeling of fear and panic and it came crashing like a heavy wave.

After having my bath, I slipped into a long-sleeved shirt over a dark fleece jacket knowing the cold Creakwood morning would freeze me to death if I didn't wear one.

I walked out of my room and headed to the dinner table where Doris was cooking up breakfast.

"Alright?" She greeted and I lazily raised my thumb in the air in response.

I took a seat on the wooden chair and she placed down a plate of toast, eggs, and beans.

I ate up my breakfast intentionally slowly.

"Rosie seems to fancy you." My grandmother casually stated.

I rolled my eyes at the statement and walked to the sink, quickly washing my plate.

"I'm going for a run," I informed Doris when I was done.

"A run?" Her eyebrows knitted in confusion. "Elaine, you barely know the here and you want to go out for a run."

I gave an exasperated sigh. "I'll just stick to the road. I'll be fine, besides I will not be long."

Before my grandmother could argue back, I had already exited the house.

I began jogging, ignoring my environment around me when I plugged in my earphones, blasting ear-piercing loud music into my ears.

I need a drink. I admitted.

No. Not a drink. No drink. The sane part of me chided. A distraction. You need a distraction.

I agreed.

Clint would have been an excellent choice but I knew all too good cowgirl will be with him and she would ask me questions I didn't want to answer.

Rosie.
Rosie was a good choice. The girl was a tad bit bonkers but she was alright.
I guess that's where her demonic dog got that from.

I walked down the road and in less than a minute, I arrived in front of their veranda. I pressed the bell on the door.

A few seconds later the door creaked open and I looked down to see Rosie. Her blonde hair was tied in two messy French braids.

Her blank face was now bright with glee. Her lips quirked up to form a mischievous smile.

It's not too late to go back. I thought.
Or I could just talk to her mother. Yes, her mother. Just casual grown-up talk.