23 | late night confessions

C L I N T ' S  P O V

I let a silent groan when Elaine peeped her head outside of the open car and vomited on the curb.

Fortunately, we had arrived at Grandma Doris's house.

I got down from the car and walked to the other side of the car.

I slipped my arms under her legs and hoisted up from the car seat.
Diligently making sure to step away from the puddle of vomit.

She stirred in my arms and for a moment I thought she was going to hurl on my shirt.

I walked to the front door and managed to knock on it and within a split second, the door swung open revealing an anxious Doris.

"God," she muttered abjectly. "What happened?"

"She passed out," I say, beating about the bush. "She's fine."

I walked to her room and placed her on the bed.
I swept away the dark strands on her that lay on her forehead.

She certainly wasn't a raging cyclone of emotions when she was passed out.
She looked almost angelic.

I closed the door gently behind me when I came out of the room.
I saw Doris folding her arms across her chest. She gestured with her head to the door. "Where was she?"

I shrugged my shoulders, nonchalantly. "I don't know—with a friend. Lost track of time, not a problem, Doris."

The lie came out of me fluidly. I didn't know why I felt the need to cover up for Elaine, but I still did it anyway.

I had even used an old Cologne I found in my car on her to try and cover up the stench of the alcohol.

Doris held my stare for a couple of seconds before she let out a sigh. "Thanks, Clint." She tapped my shoulder. "You should get home, I called your mum."

Before I could reply, I heard a loud thud from the other side of the door.
"I'll see what's about," I tell, Doris.

I flung the door open to see Elaine slugging to the bathroom, clutching her stomach like she was going to hurl.

She was. Again.

She puked into the toilet while I held her hair back. "Why do you punish yourself like this?" I admit.

She stuck up her middle finger and scoffed.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

Elaine glared at me. "What does it look like to you?"

I frown. "I'm being nice, Elaine."
She's always brash, even when drunk.

"I don't need your nice-ness." She mumbled, getting up on her feet making her way to the bed, before plopping on it.

I walked towards the door to leave but paused when I heard her voice. "How did you find me?"

"Ashley-Anne."

Elaine muttered colorful strings of curses before she looked up at me with her bloodshot eyes. "Does Doris know?"

I leaned against the door and shook my head. "No."

She sighed in relief. "Thanks."

"That's the first and last time I'm doing that," I warned. "And the last time you'll ever go to a party."

She rolled her eyes. "You sound like my father." She added. "It's disgusting." Her jaw went slack as she scowled at me.

That piqued my interest. "I take it you don't like your dad."

"He's an arse." She said without hesitation.

I realized Elaine didn't like to mention her father and her family and her not so sober state could most likely state why.
It wasn't a great move. But it was too tempting not to miss.

"And why is that?" I inquired.

"He thinks I'm dumb and irrational." She said.

I winced. Did her pops think that low of her?
"Irrational, yes. Dumb, no." I tell her but she gave me a skeptical look.

I walked to the bed and sat beside her. "You're not dumb, not at all." I clarify. "You're nice...sometimes and sweet...when you want to be." I shrugged, struggling to find suitable words to describe her.

"Are you trying to make me feel better?" She scowls. "'Cause, you're terrible at it. I feel much worse. Thank you very much."

"See, see!" I say, bemused. "You're being irrational!"

"Because I'm drunk!" She defends.

I chuckle. "You are really something, Elaine."

Her frown wavers and her lips quirked up to form a sly smile. "You're not a horrible lad yourself."

I smile. "Good night."

"Wait." She calls. "Why don't you stay?" She shrugged. "In case I-I dunno vomiting again."

I grin, knowingly. "If you want me to stay, just say it."

She groaned in exasperation. "You know what? Never mind. Take your cocky ass outta my room."

I beamed and raise my hands in surrender. "I'm just kidding."

I leaned towards her and gave a peck on her forehead. "Good night, Elaine."

With that, I switched off the lights.

***

Hey guys,  sorry for the long wait!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.
Don't forget to VOTE & COMMENT.