8 | testy moods

IT WAS A SATURDAY morning and I was pretty sure it was earlier than six O'clock.

But when I felt a rough shake, urging me to wake up from my sleep, I got up in a jolt.

My eyes were tired and we're almost about to seal close if not because of a violent shake.

"W-what?" I groaned, in tiredness.

"Get up, it's almost seven o'clock." I recognized the almost quiet voice of my grandmother.

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and gave a loud, unladylike yawn.

Without complete thought, I nodded my head. "Okay..."

When the old woman retreated from the room, I felt the temptation of plumping my head on the pillow and dozing off for a few minutes but I knew those few minutes could turn to an hour.

With a sigh, I sat on the bed, massaging my slightly sore neck.

I got up and did my usual morning routine and by the time I was done,

I walked out of the room with a cardigan and ripped jeans.

"Is there a valid reason as to why you woke me up early?" I asked, stifling a yawn when I took a seat at the dining table.

Doris had already prepared breakfast and placed it in front of me.

The woman took a seat at the table and sat opposite me.

She shrugged and said. "I asked Catherine if you could tag along to the farmers market with Rosie and Clint."

I immediately shook my head in denial. "No."

"Why not?"

"I don't want to go out, Dor-grandma."
I said, chewing a piece of toast.

The old woman chuckled without humor. "You do realize you're going to work on the farm around and not be in the house all day long, right?"

I nearly choked on my breakfast. "Why would I do that? I know nothing about farms or farming."

"It doesn't matter. Besides, Clint will teach you. It'll be fun." She encouraged.

I sighed in exasperation, mumbling some words.

"Look, Elaine." Doris's voice was now soft and held pity. "I heard about what happened back in London. You and the..."

She trailed of knowingly and I discreetly clenched my fists under the table.

Irked and furious that she had decided to bring up that topic.

She noticed my hostile expression but went on. "The reason your parents sent you here is only to distract you from what happened. We both know how—"

"CAN YOU JUST SHUT IT?" I slammed my fists on the table in anger.

My breathing was rigid and I was fuming in anger.

Before I could say anything, there was a knock on the door.

Dorris called out hastily. "Come in."

A little, all too familiar young girl peep from the opened door.

"Um, morning Grandma Doris." She said, almost in a whisper.

Then, a tall figure lingered behind Rosie's small frame.

"Is everything alright?" Clint asked, with concern.
His eyes didn't meet mine but to Doris.

It sure does feel nice to be ignored. I bitterly thought. My thoughts were drenched in sarcasm.

"Everything is fine." Doris feigned a smile and gestured for us to go. "Go on, go have fun."

Her voice was pained. I could tell from the way her voice wobbled as she spoke.

I sighed and walked out the door. The child giddily following my trail.

I stood in front of a red intimidating  Ford truck waiting for Clint to come out of the house.

"This is going to be fun!" Rosie cheered and I gave a sarcastic smile.

After a few seconds, Clint came out of the house with a hostile expression. He entered the truck without a word.

I looked at the child but she simply shrugged her shoulders and entered the backseat of the vehicle.

I took the front seat, taking the risk of Clint's testy mood.

We arrived at a large field decked with canopies of people selling fresh fruits and vegetables, fast-food, and accessories

The air-filled with barbecue and pine. A weird but oddly satisfying combination.

Across the fields was a ranch with farm animals like chickens and sheep bounded by a small white fence.

The other part of the ranch was a bunch of children petting baby cows and sheep.

Then, I heard a feminine voice through the bustling crowd. "Hey, Lint!"

I turned around to see a short blonde girl who was about my age.

"Who's this?" She asked, her eyes darted to me. Her face held a small frown.

I pressed my lips in a thin line. "Elaine Maxine, nice to meet you."

Heya!

Heya!

A new character. Can't wait to introduce her to you guys!

Anyway,
hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT your thoughts!

Until next time...gotta fly.

(Not literally)