4 | this is why I loath animals

WHEN I WOKE UP

I quickly rushed to the room in front of the bed I was situated in and threw up in the toilet.

I hurled and then wiped my mouth and rubbed my throbbing head. "Fuck" I groaned in pain.
I got up and opened the tap from the sink and washed my face.

I looked at the mirror and frowned at the note on it.
I pulled it and read it out.

I've got you a new toothbrush, towel, and sponge just in case you forgot. It's in the cabinet :)

~ Gran

I instinctively opened the wooden, white cabinet and saw the said items.
"Huh." I registered the kind gesture.

I saw a bottle of Tylenol in there so I popped one in my mouth and swallowed it dry, slowly easily away my hangover.

I brushed my teeth in reluctance, after that, I striped and had my bath in an old, vintage bathtub.

After several minutes of sulking about my arrival and bathing, I got out, dried myself and wrapped a towel around my body, and walked out of the small bathroom.

"You—"

"HOLY SHIT GRANDMA!" I screeched in fear when the old woman barged in.

"Will you pipe down, sissy." She chided. Her brown eyes gleaming with irritation.

I breathed in more slowly and calmed down my accelerating heart rate.

I looked to my now, amused grandmother.

Doris didn't look bad for an eighty-one-year-old woman. Her back wasn't curved like a 180° protractor like I thought it would be and her attire wasn't an oversized dress, bunny slippers, and a hair net covering her head.

This woman wore a white shirt with words that said, 'work it'
Mom jeans and pearl earrings and her silvery hair was pulled to a small bun.

"Sorry," I mumbled. "I thought you were an intruder."

"Who do you think would enter here apart from me?" She inquired with a slight grin.

Again. Unusual for an old woman.

She let out a carefree chuckle. "I'm glad you're here, Elaine." She said with genuine happiness. "Anyway, my neighbor wants to meet you. She's a good friend of mine, dress up and come meet her."

With that said, she shut the door behind her not before shooting me a proud smile.

"Great," I muttered to myself. Drenching my voice in heavy sarcasm.

I didn't want any interaction with anyone today but I guessed Doris had spread the news that her beloved granddaughter had finally come to visit her.

I placed my luggage on the wooden bed. (Crossing my fingers that the legs of the bed wouldn't snap and break) I pulled out some outfits and changed into dark jean shorts and a red spaghetti-strapped shirt.

I tied my straight dark hair into a middling ponytail.

I plastered a well-too practiced, convincing fake smile and opened the door, and walked to the small kitchen where a fairly young woman sat on a wooden chair.

She turned around to meet me. "Oh, Elaine! It's so good to finally meet you, I'm Catherine."

The American accent seemed so slick like her tongue was gracefully sliding on oil.

"Likewise," I said with a small smile.

The woman looked to Doris in awe and then back to me. "Gosh, I love your accent! So formal and posh."