3 | the aftermath of wine

I WAS TIPSY.

I didn't realize that until I got a feeling of unmatched happiness and Nirvana.

"I can't believe you're traveling across the country to a farm." Joanne giggled, her cheeks were flushed.

"I know right." I laughed back, with a hiccup. "Shouldn't I be sad or somethin'?"

"You tell me!" Joanne crackled, flipping her firey red hair over her porcelain shoulders.

Joanne and I were centered in my bedroom, drinking red wine and talking shit about Creekwood, the little town I was supposed to be heading in a few hours.

"They are like, howdy partner!" Joanne stood up, bent her knees, and galloped in the air. "Yee-haw!"

I jeered at her. Raising my glass of wine at her in mock salute.

My best friend fell on the lavender carpet in exhaustion.
We calmed down our hysteria and let out a sigh of gloom.

"Two months would seem forever." Joanne was the first to break the short silence.

I nodded in agreement but before I could say something, my phone buzzed.

I looked at the message.

Where are you?

Suddenly, I become alarmed when it was from my father.
"Shit, Jo!" I cursed loudly. "I'm late!"

I quickly threw in a beige coat dress over my short shorts and a tank top.
I slipped on some black pumps and Joanne frantically pulled my luggage as we rushed out of the room.

Without care, we rushed down the stairs and I loudly called our chauffeur.
We both entered the car and Melvin, the chauffeur drove us to the airport. "Hurry up, Melvin. I'm late."

I checked the time on my phone and grimaced when I realized it was 9:31 pm.

I was supposed to report at 8:00 pm.
Fuck!

We were using the private jet, of course. But the reason I was so frantically rushing was that my father was seeing me off at the airport and expected me to arrive on time and seeing as he was not happy with my behavior yesterday, I didn't want to test his mood.

But here I was.
Unintentionally doing it.

We soon arrived at the airport and made the quick transition from the car to the hanger.

The trio; my mother, father, and sister waiting for me with a harsh, irritated look.

"Where the hell were you?!" My father grated out harshly.

I ended up mumbling with my head down in embarrassment. "We lost track of time."

I heard father sniff the air. "You were drinking weren't you?" His voice was dangerously low.
I quickly tried to come up with a lie, but my mind was too fussy to think of one.

I bit my lip till I felt the faint taste of blood.
I lowered my head on the ground to avoid his look of disappointment.
"It's alright, Daniel." My mother cooed at him. "She made it didn't she?"

My father let out a sigh of exasperation before he mumbled some incoherent words.

My mother said before she hugged me. "Have a safe flight, Elaine."

Her dark curly hair was swept in a small bun instead of her leaving it down messily.

She looked different. Her bronze skin matched mine—the only resemblance I probably shared with her.

I mumbled a small thank you.

"Call me, when you get there." My little sister said, giving me a tight hug before she let go.

Elise was a photocopy of my mother. She got her dainty features and had cropped curly hair with lighter skin.

I shivered as the cold evening air swept by, I turned to face my father. "I'm sorry, dad," I murmured to my father.

"It's alright." My father's lips tightened.

I looked to my best friend who was awkwardly watching my family interaction. "Bye Jo." I hugged her tightly.

She whispered into my ear before she let go of me. "Send me pics of hot country lads, okay?"

I let a light laugh. "Will do."

"You better go, Elaine, your father and I will call you when you arrive." My mother chided. 

I doubt he will. I bitterly thought. But I composed a smile. "Okay, bye."

"Make sure you bring me a can of fresh jam." I heard my sister yell as I entered the Jet.

Hours upon hours of isolation and boredom, we finally arrived at the state of Illinois early in the morning around 3:34 am.

Tired, tipsy, and half asleep, from there, I took a car to the damned Creakwood town.

Which was a several-hour drive to arrive there.
So I used that time and did something useful.

I slept through the whole ride.

By the time I arrived at the town, my eyes were shut close. I only heard the chauffeur mention that we had arrived but my mind was too tired to comprehend his words.

All I remember was plopping on a bed and enjoy the faint smell of petrichor and old spice.

Hey there!

Hope you are all doing well and liked this chapter!

Please consider VOTING if you enjoyed this chapter and comment your thoughts I wanna know what you think!

P.S. I will be posting snippets/sneak peeks of incoming chapters of this book on my Instagram! So make sure you follow me to view them!

Edit: Creakwood town is a fictional town I created. I don't think it exists. But all I want to say is, Creekwood is a fictional town.

Thanks!