Chapter 2

Now as I arrived at the place I will be doing my job at, I just had to wait as it'll get dark. To make my time pass quicker I walk into some bakery on the way and buy myself two sweet bread rolls. Their smell makes me droll and I immediately bite into them. They taste just as good as they smell. I wander around the city and visit some places, getting to know my surroundings. You never know when you need some shortcut to run away by, right? Although I don't feel that safe around here. I need to be more careful.

As I waste my time doing "nothing", the evening comes. I watch people slowly going back home and chatting with their partners. It feels like the atmosphere is so warm around them, just by seeing them. Sometimes I'm jealous. Jealous they have something I could never have. Even in my dreams.

I walk towards the entrance of a big mall and look around. I notice only one camera. Looking straight at me.
I just smile, wave at it and walk forward. I should take that camera down. But how?
I shouldn't use the gun, it might make too much of a noise. Making it explode would be the best way, but it can easily spot me. I need to take care of it later. I walk around the mall and find the opening to the vents. Is it necessary? No. Do I want to do it? No. Am I too lazy to find another way? Yes, indeed.
I make the ventilation grille fall off and I slide in.
After long minutes of crawling I finally make it to the room that was my target. I push another grille and fall out of it. Softly on the floor. As I walk without making any noise I notice that there are no cameras here. Not even one. What's weird, cause this place should be highly secured from any outsiders.
Jewellery is the easiest place to steal stuff. I look at the alarm and with one snap I make it get destroyed. Easy.
Nothing can stop me.
Well, at least that's what it thought. When I pass the entrance I feel a strong pull"back and I fall on my back. I open eyes quickly, in panic I'm discovered. When I notice two small circles on both sides of the entrance, the panic overwhelms me even more. What's that? What should I do? Do they know I'm here? And after a second I feel something like a hard slap on my whole body.
I gasp for air, surprised and scared. I can't get up, my vision is blurry... Thankfully after a while I get back to myself. I take as much jewellery as I can and I run out. I stretch my hand out and gather energy, and when I clench it into the fist, I'm running at the speed of a car. But it doesn't last forever. I quickly run out of charges and trip. And what's under me? Of course, stairs. I immediately regret my every decision as I hit every step hardly after suddenly losing ground under my feet. This must be hilarious to anyone watching me. Whoever caught me.
When I finally reach the ground I'm sore, totally devastated. This is my bad luck.

I hear slow steps. Which can't mean anything good, of course. Whoever that is, it's over for me. Or maybe...
Before I can think I feel the strong push to the ground. Someone stepped on me, using the fact I'm totally exhausted. When I try to move I feel the sole on my back sinking into my skin even more, causing me pain. This person's enjoying this. I heard a short snort of a smile above me. What a sociopath.

" Finally, found you. " he says with a small giggle. What a strange accent. " Even you can't escape me.

" I don't even know you. " I say through my clenched teeth. This man is driving me insane.

" Of course, nobody wanted to scare you off. "

" What a confidence. " I mutter as I grab his leg firmly and send a huge wave of electricity, paralysing him. He freezes and I can notice I surprised him, although his face is well covered with a mask. This won't scare me off, anyway.

I use my boost again and when I'm really close to the exit I get pulled back again. This time I take out the gun and shoot one of the circles, making the wire break. I feel a huge relief when the feeling of being trapped goes away and I continue my escape. That's all you get mysterious man?

Obviously not. In front of me grows a weird, huge, grey cyber shit. Who the hell invents all these odd things? Someone must be really bored.

At first I thought I can't pass through it, but I easily go through a wall. Being satisfied with what I've just done I put my hand outside of the second wall, and that's my mistake. Someone grabs me and pulls to themselves. For a second I see the man in the mask again, but only for a moment, as he hits me violently in my head. I fall down, numb.

When I open my eyes, it's dark, and I'm tied up. I feel my fear arise. It's what I've been worried about since I ran away from lab. That they will get me again.

" Ah, you're awake. Wonderful. I can do more tests. " he says and later on I hear a quiet chuckle under his breath. What a... " Are you 1"694?

I freeze, scared.

" It seems I won't get anything out of you. But I already know everything. " as he whispers the chill runs down my spine. I'm terrified of that person. It seems he doesn't care about my life at all, he's just doing the task someone's given him. I'm just an addition to his collection.

When he's about to approach me with some metal object, someone enters the room.

" Enough. " the female voice says in a soothing voice. " She's terrified, Cypher. Stop torturing her. We're here to be friends.

" Friends? " I finally manage to make something come out of my throat. " You gotta be kidding me.

She only turns her stare at me, with no smile on her face.

" Call me Sage.

So that's how this popular Radiant looks like in real life. It's funny how they find recruits.

" I'm... " I start. I think it's better not to reveal the name I use everywhere. Of course, I don't know my real name, I just call myself Laria, and that's what I tell others. " Li...ly. " that was the worst name I could've chosen.

" Liar. " Cypher says, amused. I'm so pissed at him. But he's right, it was obvious. " She's known as Laria, she's been working as a thief. Electrical radiant. Escaped four years ago from Kingdom laboratory.

Sage frowns slightly at me, observing.

" Release her. " she says.

" Do you trust her? " he asks.

" No, but she can give us a chance to.

As I get unleashed all I want to do is to make them faint. But maybe I should listen to them first. I don't want Sage to be my enemy.

" Half of the success. She didn't kill us. " Sage says. Am I really known as a murderer? Oh well.

" Now, let's talk about business. " Cypher says calmly, correcting his sleeve.