Chapter 12

{Laria}

We walk around the city, Aamir, of course, close to me. I feel the cold of the gun in my hands, hoping I won't be needing to use it. I exhale, calming my pounding heart down. I just want to get it done with and get the hell out of there.

- Where's the spike? - I ask him, still looking around.

- Spike? Oh, this. Killjoy has one. She'll be immediately informed once we find the radianite. - he says, but it doesn't sound too convincing. I'm even more confused now. I go up the stairs on the site called "A site". I hear Cypher following quickly, not letting me go even a step further. This is a little awkward, haha... I peek through the window and see two people getting in here. Who are they?

Oh, that's Killjoy! And Omen. I smile, but the reality hits me quickly; we didn't take Omen with us. I keep watching what they're doing, and to my surprise, Killjoy says something through walkie-talkie and takes out the spike from the bag. My eyes go immediately wide, as I connect the dots after a while. I inhale violently, ready to scream at Cypher for explanation. He's faster, though, and immediately covers my mouth with his hand. He holds me like that, making it impossible for me to move. Slowly, when he's blocked me with his legs and muted me with his hand, he takes out the walkie-talkie and activates it.

- A site. The spike planted. - then he takes his hand off and takes a deep breath. - Laria, I need you to calm down. You probably already realised what's going on here, huh. This escalated way too quickly. Smart girl. - he slowly takes his hand away and puts it on my cheek. - No worries, Sparkle. You're in better hands now. Trust me.

I see him reaching out for Vandal, and crouching in window, aiming straight for Killjoy's head.

- Let me handle this. - he whispers.

At the last moment I push him to the ground, which makes him miss. He lays there for a while, possibly stunned by my action. I decide to peek, and that's my mistake. Both Omen and Killjoy start spraying with Vandal and Phantom, bullets avoiding me by literally inches. I breathe fast, and frown when I see Cypher trying to get up. I've never felt such an anger towards a person.

- Now what, idiot.

- Who's an idiot here?! You pushed me down, it would've been a clear headshot! - he sighs, but throws a cage and activates it so he can crawl to the safe space. He catches my wrist, but I send a warning with my electricity. He gets it, so takes his hands away, silent.

We run downstairs, running to B site, so we can wait for a back up. I stare at Cypher.

- I could kill you here, right now. - I whisper.

- Me too. - he replies. - So don't even try.

- Once it's all done, and I prove I'm the real one, I'm going back at Valorant. The real one, too.

- Oh I don't think so, darling. You're staying with me. - he whispers, his mechanic pupils not able to express his emotions.

- Make me. - I whisper, and immediately use my boost. I run as far as I can, away from him. Once I'm on C site I sit down behind boxes, holding my gun, panicking. I just need to... wait it all through, right? The real ones are going to win anyway. As always.

And you'll sit here like a coward?

They'll kill me the second they see me! How do I convince them that I'm with them?! Oh shut up, everyone shut up, give me a break!

- What a coward.

Not this shit again.

- Hello there, Laria. - I look up and see her. Myself. - Found you, you little mouse. - she smirks.