Chapter 20

{Laria}

Minutes passed by, and the discussion continued. Everyone was screaming over each other, and I just stayed silent. There was no use in straining my own nerves. I looked over everyone's faces and all had the same in common: fear.

I squeeze my eyelids and take a deep breath, hiding my hands in the face.  I feel a soft brush on my back, reassuring one. I look up and see Aamir, who pulled up half of his mask so I can see his warm smile. He then brushed my hair gently, carefully. It was comforting. 

"Don't tell me you're freaking out right now, as well." He teases me, his warm smile turning into a smirk. I love this side of him, it somehow comforts me all the time. Despite the fact it's supposed to be mean, I know he doesn't mean it - his playful voice and giggles soothen the situation.

Yoru, as I noticed, is letting he emotions get out. His angry voice is the most hearable, as he tries to be the loudest one in the room.

"I'm going to go crazy in a second." I whisper, closing my eyes.

"You know how I feel now, I've already been working 10 years with them." He squeezes my cheeks gently, not letting the smirk wash off his face. "Oh my, oh my, look at yourself."

"Stooop..." I smile, gently slapping his hand away. Sighing, I take my phone out and look at the time. We've been here for two hours now.

Sage puts her palm gently on mine, smiling. "It's getting better with Maya. I'm gaining her trust and she's slowly opening up." She pats my hand, then takes hers away. "I thought there are going to be problems, but turns out her mind is just... Weak, so she easily trusts people. It's just a matter of time until she'll be running around here, freely."

'What if she's the copy...' The thought pops out in my head. That'd be way more obvious than letting us take the child. I look at Sage, my stare concerned. "Sage..."

She immediately knows what's on, and calms me down with a "shush".

"We checked it. She's the real one." She nods, but something's off. It couldn't have been easier, the whole taking the kid back thing.
Then, I see her.

I burst out of the room, seeing a small creature running away. When she's running through a long corridor, she notices me and sends a huge wave of air, sending me at the walk again. The same trick, goddamnit...

"MAYA!!!" I scream, and she turns around to face me.

"I'm not Maya." She whispers, but I can hear her clearly. Call me Astra..." She frowns and I see her mechanical hand rise. I get hit by another wave, but I somehow repel it with the shield I created.

"COME BACK HERE!" I yell once again, continuing the chase. As soon as she gets out, she turns right and disappears behind the corner. I yell her name, but I can't see her anywhere. She overheard the plans... And will deliver it to Shatter. That's for sure. Sage appears behind me, panting as she was running after us, too.

"She got away..." She says slowly, her gentle voice trembling.

"Hey! It's okay, it's alright. We couldn't have stopped her, to be honest..." I put a hand on her shoulder, squeezing gently.    I look around once again, but see nothing. The kid got away.

"I'm sorry, Laria. I couldn't... Save her, turns out..."

I hug her, patting her back gently. "I said, it's all good. It's not your fault. You're not the one who lost her, in the first place." I frown, sighing. "Look, go back, I'll look around the city for her. Maybe I'll find her."

The black haired woman nods, her head down as I release her from my hug. I immediately turn around and walk away, hiding face in my hands.

"Oh for God's sake!" I say through clenched teeth, hitting the wall with a first, sending a wave of electricity at it. A few cracks appear, but I made sure not to use too much of power, so the whole building doesn't collapse. I scream my anger out, and then sigh deeply. She got away, that's for sure. We won't see her anymore, she's gone. I just wanted to walk away to get the frustration out, because I was literally boiling.

{Shatter}

I walk with Astra slowly, holding her hand barely. This brat turned out to be useful, finally. I thought she's never going to break out.

I taught her a few tricks here and there, so it was supposed to be an easy task for her. She squeezes my finger, but I don't pay attention to it. I don't care about her, now, I know all of the plans, I absorbed her memories. Maybe I'll send her as a bait out on the battlefield...

This is the great idea.

I enter my building and I give the girl into the hands of Cypher. He immediately smiles, giving her a high five. I turn away and walk into my office, where I sit down and put hands under my chin. The crystals are getting more and more painful each day. I touch my cheek bone and feel the familiar thing on it. Another crystals.

They're heavy, they hurt me. The more of them, the more suffering I have. I need to posses the radianite to finally control this shit... Once I do, I can control my form easily and I'll be literally limitless. That's what Fred once told me.

Thank you, dear friend.