Chapter 19

{Laria}

As soon as we get back I report what I saw to Brimstone. He only frowns at me, not letting concerned expression crawl to his face. I know he tries so hard to keep us away from the danger and worrying, but we need to face the reality - unless we want all to be killed because of a stone.

I sit down and look at the glass table which also displays all the diagrams and stuff. I look at my hand and notice something weird. It looks as if the veins turned black on one side of my palm. This means no good, that's for sure.

This was the hand I held on the edge of the crack in the middle of the desert we were on.

The closest hand to the Radianite.

I look at Aamir who stands stiffly next to me. He seems lost in his thoughts, probably analysing everything.

Oh, by the way, we took Maya with us. We put special handcuffs on her, so she doesn't get to use her abilities on me, as she did before. My back still hurts from that hit. I need to visit her.

I stand up and slowly head out, as no one's saying anything - the only one looking at me is Cypher, following me with his stare as long as he can. I bet he'll follow me in a second.

I walk through dim corridors, my steps echoing. I'm heading to the room where the kiddo is locked up, and when I reach it I open the door. Her pale face and lifeless eyes raised to meet my [e/c] eyes. This stare sent chills down my spine.

"Hey..." I start.

"You left me." she immediately cuts me off, frowning.

This leaves me speechless. On one hand she's right, but on the other she's the one in the wrong. I remember, when I asked Brimstone before to work out the plan to get her out, he promised he'll work on it. I guess he didn't have much time, neither did I.

Her gravity ability is way too strong for a kid to control it, thankfully now she can take a breath and rest a bit from it.

I observe her, and wonder: what did Shatter tell her? How did he manipulate her? He's not that stupid, and he gained one of the stronger Radiants to his side now.

I try to search for words, but I bet that whatever I say, she won't believe me.

"We tried, darling." I start, making sure my voice sounds soft. "I'm sorry you had to wait there for so long..."

"It's ok. Fake Cypher was taking care of me." She looks away. "And I want to go back to him."

I blink repeatedly, surprised this sociopath was given a kid to take care of. He might seem soft with me, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't hesitate to torture a kid if told to do so.

"You want to go back...?" I whisper, surprised she liked it that much there.

She nods. "I do. I want to play with his gadgets again, and drink tea."

"Oh, sweetheart, I'd do the same with you!" Aamir's voice echoes from behind me. "If I was told to make you feel safe here." The smile hearable in his voice, although mask covers his whole face. "Be a wise kid and think about the reason they do this all for you. They want to use you, nothing more."

"Yea, yea, that's exactly what Cypher said." I nod and feel his hand land on my shoulder, squeezing it to comfort a little. He knows I'm tensed.

The girl looks at us, a bit confused. I see a bit of hesitation in her eyes, so I inhale and hold my breath for a second. I don't want to lose another one, not after I met her and know her story. She might feel safe there, but they might use it and lead her into a trap. I want her to stay with us so she can feel truly loved and taken care of. 

Maya looks at her tiny hands and squeezes them, and I can hear a clink of metal. Her mechanical arm is... In a bad state. I bet Killjoy can do something with it. But first we need to get to her.

I hear soft steps coming from behind. I turn around and notice Sage, who approaches us slowly and looks at Maya. The girl looks away, and snorts.

"I'll take care of her, guys. You can go and enjoy yourselves." She says in a soothing voice.

I look at Cypher and see him staring at me, for sure smirking under that goddamn mask. I hit his arm gently and snort. "Dude." I whisper.

Brim actually waits for us outside, and I hear a sigh to my right. That's definitely Aamir, who knows that work awaits.

"I'm so sorry." I hear him say, mechanical pupils staring at me. I just nod and smile gently.

"Just go, we'll meet in the evening. And to not make him guilty I immediately head out to the gardens. There I see Omen, sitting on a bench, casually. I slowly walk towards him and sit beside. His hoodie is off, so his face formed into a more humane one.

"Why did you come here?" He asks, but softly. He doesn't seem to mind.

"I'm just bored, no tasks, you know..." I smile. "How are you?"

"I'm trying to rest from voices that are stuck in my head." He sighs. "They never give me a moment off. I tried... knitting." he looks away, as if embarrassed. "It works - it helps me keep myself together."

"That's great! I've never heard about the man that knits, I'd love to see that." I smile, swinging my legs.

Omen turns his head at me and murmurs something under his breath, which, of course, I can't hear.

"I didn't mean it in a bad way!" I quickly add, hoping not to make him even more ashamed.

The silence follows.

"Cypher is a really emotional guy when it comes to you." he finally speaks up. "When you simply disappear I have to remind him it doesn't mean you're dead, but he is just lost in fury."

I sigh with a small smile on my face. "He shouldn't worry about me zo much..."

"What did you see at the place that I took you from?" he says after I finish talking.

"Radianite... Lots of it." I say quietly, so nearby citizens don't hear anything.

"That's probably where the thing that attracts is." His expression sharpens, clearly showing concern. "We have to destroy it."

"I bet Cypher and Brim are working on it at the moment." I smile, looking at my hands. I hope the plan includes everyone surviving.

Wait.

Omen exists basically thanks to the Radianite. Does it mean he'll disappear after... we destroy it?

"Yes, I'll disappear." He says, as if he was reading my mind. "But that's okay. I'll rest. I couldn't for a while. When my body rips apart, I appear somewhere else." He looks down and sighs.

"I'll miss you, although I don't know you that well. I hope you'll sleep peacefully." I touch his shoulder and smile.

"You remind me of..." he starts, but Jett comes to us.

"Meeting at the round table. We got the plan." as soon as she came, she walks away.

"Let's go, Omen."