Chapter 24

{Laria}

A loud thud woke me up from my very shallow nap.

Through my barely opened eyelids I see two men dressed in black, picking up unconscious Jett from the ground. I wince, and quietly mutter my friend's name, but I have no strength to get up. It's been three days, and the only thing we've been getting were two glasses of water everyday. No food - seems like they're hoping we'll die slowly and painfully.

So far they've got me, Yoru, Jett and I think they've caught Skye recently. I sleep most of the time here, not moving from the same corner of my dark cell. It happens that I chat a bit with Yoru, but he seems to have lost more energy, so I don't bother him usually.

Another men come in and bring in Yoru, walking weakly. I didn't even notice they took him. Now they approach me, open the cell and help me stand up. It's not gentle, at all. I feel my every muscle sore, even the ones I had no idea that existed. When we pass a dirty mirror on our way out I notice the black circles under my eyes, my dirty outfit I usually wear for missions and the way my cheekbones became more visible.

More than before.

I wonder where's Aamir now. Did he already forget that I existed? I don't know... I doubt everything, I'm not even sure whether now is a dream or a reality.

No, no, I bet he's ready to come to me.

I bet...

They lead me into an office, full of modern stuff. I wish I could name every single one of them, but yeah... It'd be really impressive to me if I wasn't so worn out.

They sit me down, and other men come in, asking me questions I do not understand. It's so hard to comprehend anything, everything hits me like a wave and chokes. The person sitting the furthest, in a huge chair is (I guess) the current boss of the Kingdom. The one that threw Shatter off his throne. He's observing me, whereas others start checking up on me, taking some blood tests and keep asking questions. And I'm just sitting there, in silence, looking at the shadowy figure. I crack a smile slowly at him, but his face stays unchanged. What a prick.

When I hear a tick of unlocked handcuffs I immediately feel a wave of energy hitting me, but I try to act as if I'm still addled. The weight of the handcuffs disappears and I use it as a perfect opportunity to try and break out.

I managed to put down two of the men inspecting me, but that's already been too much for my organism. I fall to knees, and look up just to see the boss watching me very carefully. He didn't even stand up. He just sat there, quiet.

"Take her away." His voice echoes. "I think that's enough." Now his face is decorated with a smile.

Two of the guards that dragged me in pick me up and slowly lead out. When there's a click of door I hear one whisper: "Now."

They pull me into another dark room, and I don't even resist.

I just don't care.

They gently put me down on the ground, making sure my back is put to the wall.

"Oh gosh, thought we'll never get you." I hear a very familiar voice and my heart skips a beat. Could they be...

Aamir takes off his helmet first, revealing his scarred face to me. He smiles widely, opening his arms to me.

"Darling, it's us!"

The other one takes off their helmet as well - it's Phoenix.

"Guys..." I cough out, smiling brightly.

Cypher crouches in front of me and pulls me into a warm hug. His fingers gently stroke my hair. The other hand lays on my cheek, its thumb caressing it. Cypher, pressing his lips to my forehead, kisses it and looks me in the eyes.