Chapter 9

{Laria}

My back hurts as I wake up on my hard bed. My room is empty, no furniture. Just a place to rest. This is annoying - I understand, I ran away, but come on, there'd be no difference whether I slept on a floor or a bed now.

I sneak out of the room, wandering around empty corridors and checking every corner. Everything's so simple, which is weird. I remembered this place as more decorated. Everything feels off, I'm not back home. Maybe the way everyone's hostile towards me makes me feel that way. I feel a hand lay on my shoulder, gently squeezing.

- Don't you think of running away again, hm? - the familiar voice echoes.

- I don't intend to. - I say, but I obviously sound hesitant. After their welcoming I really think of running away again, further. Somewhere, where there's no Kingdom. - Are you following and watching me all the time?

- Yes. - his reply is immediate. He doesn't hide with it. - You have a camera in your room, as well as an alarm... don't take it personally, little star. - I hear a tease in his voice.

This is ridiculous. Now I understand how people who he's stalking feel. Terribly. If I were them, I'd rather die than be chased by a mysterious dude in a mask. I feel a shiver going down my spine when his hand goes down on my back. Feeling the slight push from him I continue my walk. With him beside.

- I thought I'll guard you personally. - he says slowly. - Oh, what a wonderful weather outside, isn't it? - We both stop in front of a giant window, which is covered in million raindrops. The sky is grey, but the sun shines through it, shedding a light on tall skyscrapers in the distance. - You know, I almost thought that you have some sort of a... feeling for me, before. Funny, isn't it?

I stand, stiff. I prefer to keep silence, to not say something inappropriate. Although that, I keep glancing at him from time to time. I'm not going to hide with it, I'm scared. I didn't know this side of him, and the fact he's against me now makes it way worse. I want to get out now for sure. But... he won't stop chasing me. Until he catches me, again and again.

- It's time you met our boss of bosses.

- I don't think I want to.

- Oh come on, Sparkle, feeling like a coward today? Weren't you so brave before? - I can hear him grinning. This is horrifying.

We slowly head downstairs, to even lower grounds. I feel my heart pounding in my chest, almost getting out from fear. My steps are too loud, Cypher's breathing annoys me; it's too calm. I can't stop but feel like something touches me in the dark all the time, although there's nothing. I sometimes freak out myself, causing me to shore up my defences. You can tell that I'm a bit paranoid.

We walk a few minutes, Cypher talking all the time; telling stories about his victims, the ones who died, the ones who went crazy, and that's basically it. He's showing off just like a hunter would show off his prey. I notice he slows down, so do I, and we both look at the door.

- I knock, you talk? - he says, a faint giggle coming out.

I frown, knocking first. He stares at me for a while, but looks away once we hear a quiet "come in" from inside. He then holds the door for me and waits as I come in first. I look at the man sitting behind the desk; black hair, weird outfit, and... in some spots on his face I notice something like crystals. Perhaps I look at him for a bit too long, because I see him smiling gently.

- Famous Laria, am I right? - he stands up, slowly. Seems like he has some troubles moving. He approaches me, getting waaay too close. Standing in front of my face, I watch him transform into... a... crystal? I'm surprised, and now he seems to be fully made out of it. His human eyes don't go with the whole body. It looks like he's frozen from the outside, but it's definitely not an ice.

- Nice to meet you, sir. - I gulp, stressed. Who the hell is that, and why I've never got to know about him before?

- Call me... Shatter. - his smile is even more frightening. I clench my fists and teeth, trying to move my face away a little. He even reaches his hand out and starts gently touching my face - I feel his cold fingers trying to sense my warm skin. Shatter seems focused on what he's doing, which worries me. I have no idea why I'm here, what's this dude doing and why Cypher doesn't explain anything. But after a moment I feel Aamir approach me from behind and putting his hands on my shoulders, reassuring me.

{Cypher}

I've been following [y/n] everywhere, but I can't figure out what happened to her. Whenever I try to get to her she just walks away or ignores me even. I can't lie, that's a hit.

There she is, ignoring me again. Sitting alone on the bench, glued to her tablet. But she isn't doing anything, just staring, empty. Then, she looks up and notices me. She waves at me, smiling. I'm so confused...

Omen approaches me from my left and I hear him growling under his hood. His form seems distracted, not coherent. I'll never get used to this spooky boy. What is he even?

- That's not her. - I hear him murmur. - That's not Laria.

I frown, opening mouth. That's what I meant, the thing I'll never get used to.

- What do you mean? Look at her, sitting! Isn't that enough Laria-ish?

He turns at me, and I gulp, regretting all my life decisions. It's different when a weird form of shadow is standing right in front of you, and all you see are something similar to scratches made by a cat. I wonder if he can shape it... that's be hilarious. I highly doubt he'd laugh at it with us, though. At this thought I smirk a little, but quickly remember there's a demon in front of me.

- Explain, please?

- It's not her. - he repeats, like it's something crystal clear.

I frown, making a fish mouth. Oh right, he can't see me. I'll keep it for myself, then. To my horror when I turn again at where Laria was, she's right in front of us. Omen's form is even more disturbed, and I'm even more confused.

- Cypher, you said you wanted to show me around the Split, before the meeting I interrupted, right? - she says with her... beautiful voice. Cypher, stop. Not now. But... it's so warm... Blushing, and thanking god for having a mask on, I nod.

- Sure, whenever you want.

- Right away! I have some free time, then the old man told me to train. - she rolls her eyes. She seems... more confident. But I loved making her flattered and teasing her. What changed?

Omen keeps staring at me, as if he was trying to read my expression. Jokes on him, I make one of blue pupils wink and reach out a hand to Laria.

- Shall we go, m'lady? - I pull her hand gently and we both walk away. I still feel Omen's eyes on my back.

----------

Hey guys! :DDD Sorry for such a long wait and unstable updating schedule, but I recently just had no motivation :(

Now I'm getting a hang of it and hopefully update again soon :)

Have a great day! <3