Chapter 10

{Laria}

After the visit I was stunned. I was so confused, and felt so absent minded that I needed Aamir to lead me to my room. Everything was slightly blurry, and I still don't know what this man did to me. All I remember are... memories flying through my head. Some of which I'd rather not recall. I look at Cypher's blue, glowing pupils, which stare at me intensively.

- Are you okay? - this is the first time he sounds so concerned. No idea what hit him.

- Yes, I'm fine. - I crack a small smile, which, I think, calms him down a bit; his shoulders relax, and he finally looks away from me. That's new.

His moves are gentler, he's more careful. I stay quiet, but in my head there's a huge storm of thoughts. What's that sudden change...

He even brings me food everyday now, he's taking care of me as if I'd have been close to dying. That's... surprising.

{Cypher; the copy}

What's that? A voice in my head? Why am I here... I'm so lost. It all started after I saw her hurt during our boss was copying her memories. She's still not fine enough.

I cover my mouth, shocked. I don't think that should've happened. I need to hide it from the boss, otherwise he'll immediately delete me. I must understand what happened to me. I look at peacefully eating Laria, feeling as I sweat under my coat. This is terrifying.

- Aamir?

I pop out, still staring at her.

- You good?

- Yes, yes, all fine. - I nod, feeling as my corners of lips rise slightly. It's all not supposed to happen; at least that's what I assume. I should not feel. The best thing is that I immediately understand what's happening around me, what's my role and that I'm one of the deviants. I think people haven't understood the full power of the radianite yet. Funny, how they are so confident about making a use of it.

And here I am, the copy that shouldn't have its own consciousness. What's  the worst is that... I feel worried about this real human. [y/n]. Argh, it's all too complicated.

- Cypher, you keep looking at me.

Yes, right, she probably feels uncomfortable.

The sudden panic arises.

Does Shatter know I'm not under his control any more?

I pray that he doesn't. I still feel the connection with him, though. He can send me information and orders. My hands are shaking and... I feel my heart pounding. Oh gosh, the adrenaline.

- You should rest up. - I hear her soft tone.

- No, I need to await for the boss to call me. You sleep, I'll sit beside.

I watch as she lays down, pulling the cover. Although that, she keeps watching me carefully, as if she still doesn't trust me fully. Well, obviously. I'll think about everything once she's asleep.

Her eyes close, and I observe as her breath slows down, and muscles relax. [y/n] seems so peaceful now. I reach out my hand and carefully caress her hair. They're so soft...

I think the fact I was ripped away from my master is caused by the strength of the memories connected to the real Cypher. They're already connected in... the other world, and that link is so strong that while transferring her memories of Aamir to me, it just... was too strong. And it weren't normal, plain memories. They were filled with hidden feelings.

This all sounds too complicated.

Everything's been too complicated since the First Light.

{Cypher}

We walk together through Split, passing people heading to work, sipping coffee calmly. Laria observes them with an honest interest. She's probably never been between people without an anxiety and a feeling that someone watches her. It's not like I feel bad for her... okay?

I tell her about skyscrapers, coffee shops, and the huge park in front of a train station. We sit there for a while, talking. She seems more... "Laria-ish" now. It all concerns me. I still think about Omen's words. "It's not Laria". But it's hard to believe. I can't believe it, am I denying something because I feel too relieved she's still here?

Aamir, damn, you've changed. I giggle at myself, and [y/n] looks at me, questioning.

- Nothing, nothing, I'm laughing at myself, Sparkle.

- I can tell you've liked that nickname. I don't mind, anyway. - she smiles. It makes her so beautiful.

{Laria; the copy}

What's happening?

Why am I here.

What the fuck does that mean.

I look at my hands, feeling a shiver coming through my whole body. I'm so thankful to have my outfit on, otherwise my strange behaviour would've been spotted immediately.

The electricity gathered all around me, my breath got faster. Someone help me, I do not understand?! Right after getting instructions on how to behave and receiving memories I felt that weird wall inside me collapse. I'm... conscious.

A conscious copy.

Now I laugh shortly.

Oh how much I can do.

- Sparkleee? - I hear his playful tone beside me.

Now it's all coming together now... Oh wait, this clown. I feel an urge to protect him, though. What's that. I cross my arms, annoyed by the influence memories put me under. This mask dude seems so confused by my behaviour. I'm talking with myself, don't bother me.

But still, ignoring the problem of me having to protect this idiot, I can do... a lot. I'm free. I clench my fists, just thinking of what I can do. Endless possibilities. The power to kill anyone I wish. To force someone to obey. This is going to be fun. I don't need the boss any more.

I can't stop giggling. It's just everything gathered inside me. People around me are staring, including Cypher.

- Didn't know this side of you. - his blue pupils blink repeatedly, confused completely.

Ohhh, boy, you have no idea what I'm already starting to plan.

Idiot Shatter. He gave me the freedom.

- Oh, right, Cypher? - I ask innocently. - Do we have any new mission assigned?

- Oh, Brim already received one message about a city somewhere, which got destroyed by the radianite. Haven, I guess? We're planning to go there. Unfortunately... as you know, we might be slowed down. These copies... are a real pain. Yeah... Oh, have you seen a little Chinese shop? Come, I'll show you!

Nice. Now all I have to do is eliminate my real version.