Chapter 18

{Laria}

As soon as I wake up, I am sent to the crew to prepare for the mission. I receive my outfit, which I quickly put on and get a coffee from Brimstone to wake up a little faster. I smile as 'thanks' and watch others get ready. I notice Yoru got a little paler than he was the last time I saw him - this is worrying, especially he's never nervous about going on a battlefield. He moves slower, his actions are more careful. Aamir approaches me from behind and puts a hand on the shoulder.

"You noticed that, too." he says quietly, now looking at Jett. She hasn't talked to me in a while, and she doesn't seem to be okay, either. I frown slightly and turn at Cypher.

"And what about you? How are you feeling?" I ask, looking into his mechanic pupils.

"I'm all good." I can hear him smiling underneath his mask. I nod and turn around to face other agents. Killjoy and Raze are standing beside Jett, trying to get her to tell them how is she. She just answers with 'I'm ok', which didn't sound too convincing. I grab my gear and lightly tap Cypher's shoulder, trying to loosen the atmosphere. Honestly, none of the agents look good. Each of them has a pale face and they look tired. I don't really feel well myself, but I wouldn't say I look so terrible.

I go into the dropship and take my place. We take off as soon as everyone is seated and fastened, which took about five minutes. Despite the condition of my comrades, they were all assembled fairly quickly.

I glance to the side at Brim, who's rummaging through his tablet. I don't know if he hasn't noticed his agents' condition, or if he's just trying to distract himself from their tired looks. I don't think this day is the best day to organize a mission. Suddenly I feel my hand starting to hurt. I grab it, hoping no one will notice. A strange tingling pierces my body. I try not to show how confused I am by the behaviour of my own body, but it's difficult. Recent days, or even weeks, were terrible. And I can say that not only for me. Whenever I passed someone, their expressions would always say, "I'm not feeling well." Oddly enough, it was just the Radiants who felt weird, not normal people - like Cypher or Killjoy.

I more often think about what Viper told me. It might be the cause, as I realized. The Radianite is such a powerful, radioactive thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the reason. I release the hand as soon as the pain disappears, and try to relax before we land. I didn't have much time, as I felt the dropship slow down so we can land. We wouldn't be jumping off of it, we just want to risk as least as possible.

Everyone gets out fast, separating into small groups. Cypher tries to persuade Brim to group him with me, but he put me with Omen in the team. I don't mind though, I always wondered what's it like to work with him. We also got Killjoy with us.

Together, we head to the A site, me carrying the spike. It's quite heavy, but that's alright. Omen creates shadows in some places, blocking the view of the potential enemy. We rush in, and as I'm planting, Killjoy places her gadgets all around. I take out my gun after the bomb is activated and observe the surroundings. So far so good, no interruption.

But then we hear them. They were waiting for us, camping in all possible corners. Killjoy quickly calls for a back up, and pulls us two into showers, so we can hide. We hear the teleporter sound and notice our teammates pop out.

"I'll flank them." I hear a murmur from Omen and watch him disappear from my sight. Our teammates that are coming from the teleporter are currently under the attack of an enemy. They chased them down, and I have no idea what to do. There might be some enemies on site, so I'm completely sandwiched.

All of a sudden, I hear a sound of defusing, so without thinking I rush in and shoot the place where the spike is. I swear I saw someone for a second, but they disappeared somewhere. When I turn around I see Yoru taking off his mask and before I can do anything he grabs my neck violently and throws on the floor. I send a wave of electricity at him and it sends him flying at the wall. I take out Sheriff and shoot his head immediately, watching his body slowly fall down to the ground. Oh God. I killed someone.