Chapter 21

{Y/N}

In the end I actually went around and tried to find her. Obviously, it was no use, as she'd already run off. Now I watch the stars slowly travel across the cloudless sky, thinking about Maya. This dude truly messed up with her head, and even gave her a different name. Astra.

I bet there's more to discover about her power than we realize.

I turn around and slowly walk towards the point I came from. I can't chase her down now, as I've lost the trace of her already. I'd rather go and prepare for the mission that not everyone might come out of alive.

To Bind.

The longer we delay it, the more radianite will appear and damage not only people, but also the Earth. The Valorant, as an organisation made with purpose, which is protecting people from the worst, is expected to take care of it. And we will.

I walk into the building and all of the faces turn at me. I shake my head to show that my expedition was no use and the kid disappeared, and they only nod, without a word. Some smile, pale, trying to tell me it's fine. I'm now more worried about them. We need to approach the thing that attracts the radianite, and they are already looking pretty bad. Not that I feel any better.

We all go to our rooms, exhausted from literally nothing, would seem. I throw myself on the bed, holding my phone and reading news. 'Venice still in ruins', 'The radianite increase - will we survive?', 'VALORANT organisation and their dark secrets' (which is just a bunch of bullshit, to be honest). There's nothing that will hide from journalists. They already know something's up. But they also throw anything just to feed the readers.

I hear a soft knock and see Aamir's mechanic pupils appear from behind the door. He waves and makes his way towards my bed, not even asking if he can come in. Throwing himself on it as well, he takes off the mask and smiles at me.

"You look gorgeous."

"Thank you." I murmur with a slight smile on my face and giggle.

"Brimstone cancelled plans for the mission. I wonder why." He says, fanning us two with his hat.

"I don't think it's the right thing to do. Especially we have less and less time..."

"Let's enjoy it, then." He takes off his coat and stays in his shirt only, wraps his arms around my waist. Then, he lays his head on my chest and closes eyes. "That's better. Let's just stay like this."

Slowly I reach to his head and slowly brush his curly hair. It's so soft. And I feel really, really safe now.

"You know... I want you to know, that you're doing great. I'm proud of you." He whispers, not moving even. I blink twice, surprised at his words.

"Why would you..."

"You learnt so much in such a short time and you're really strong. My girl." I hear smile in his voice, and I feel my cheeks burn. "I want you to know how much I love you, I want you to know how much I want to protect you. But... I'm scared I won't." He tightens his hug a little, but not that much to bother me. "We had a few agents before... You know. Everyone thought the Radiants are immortal at some point. So did I." He looks up at me and smiles sadly. "I had a wife, Nora. She was a Nature Radiant. I couldn't... save her."

I raise my eyebrows. That's why this man doesn't have a wife. I'm not mad at him, now I just want to ensure him everything's okay, so I also wrap my hands around him.

"It'll be just good. We'll get through this goddamn mess together" I whisper back, and sigh deeply. "Let' just lay like this, alright?"

So we did. And we wake up next day in the late morning, still wrapped together. I feel relieved to have him by my side. I try to fall asleep again, but I have a feeling something's off. And I can't tell why, really.

"I'm hungry." I hear him mumble this under his breath.

"Me too." I pat his head twice. "But I'm too lazy to get up."

Then we both hear it. Heavy, robotic steps outside. We get up slowly, Cypher peeks first. I see him frown, and slowly take the gun out of the coat he threw the night before. I watch him, surprised. He walks out, and so do I. Pointing a gun steadily at the head of the machine, he pushes me behind himself. Then, I see it. It turns around, his face flat with weird sign on it. It's tall and terrifying. It directs his head at me, so Cypher covers me even more.

"What the hell are you..." he whispers, his eyes turning dark. Empty.

"Agent Cypher and agent Laria." he says, robotic voice echoing in a hallway. "Nice to meet you. I'm the new member of VALORANT organisation, KAY/O."

"New member?" Cypher snorts, but from shooting stops him Killjoy.

"Ayyy, Cypher! No violence towards our new friend!" She says cheerfully. I bet she created him. "Meet my new creation, robot that can disable abilities."

"Disable abilities?" I ask slowly, moving aside from Aamir to face them both.

"Don't worry, he wasn't made against you, of course! He was made for a different purpose." She pats his shoulder, creating the metallic sound. "He will stop the abilities of our enemies, so we can easily take them down!" Exclaiming, she turns at her friend. "KAY/O, show our friends your knife!"

I take a step back when I see the robot take out a blue knife and approach me. Cypher is alert, but I tell him to stay away with my hand. I watch the knife when he presses it, and I hear a strange sound. It's weird, it feels as if I had handcuffs on my wrists, tightly locked, and whenever I try to use my shield nothing works.

"It's able to stop even the Radiants when their powers are at their peak." She explains, moving hands enthusiastically in the air. "Isn't it... exciting?"

"Definitely." I smile slowly, robot analysing me. "Why would you create him?"

"Oh, Kingdom told me to try to make something like that. They helped me with programming, and I did the rest." she grins, clapping her hands together.

{Cypher}

This for sure isn't the only reason why they asked her to create him. Not to help us. I clench my jaw, grab [Y/N]'s wrist and pull her gently.

"We'll go eat now." I say sweetly, grinning at Killjoy. I forgot I don't have my mask. "We haven't visited kitchen yet today."

And we walk away.

"This is scary."

I look at the most beautiful woman in the world, and nod.

"Indeed..."

"It feels like it's made to replace us. If they push us away, they can easily deal with our enemies themselves." she says.

I take out ingredients and prepare food for us both. The Kingdom never, in fact, was fond of cooperating with the Radiants. Especially they were trying to run off, and they had to use many people to capture them. I remember when they brought Jett in - she was tied in all the ways possible, all the guns were aimed at her head, and as always it was Sage that talked everyone in.

To be honest, those people with supernatural powers don't really have a choice in this world. You either die or work to protect fragile people.

I look at [Y/N] and lower my eyebrows slightly.

Neither did she.

All of a sudden, our peaceful meal was stopped my the sudden Viper's burst into the room.

"Yoru's gone." she says, terror in her voice.