Chapter 13

{Cypher}

A week passed, since everything happened. Laria's safe here with us, but she needs a non-stop care. Everything's been a little too much for her. I stay with her all the time, keeping my mask off, so she feels like she's with a human, not a robot. I talk with her, spend time with her, train with her, eat with her... Basically everything. After this long time of getting to know each other, I feel that I know her better now. And the bond between us grows stronger. Sometimes I feel... that she knows all my secrets. Although I haven't spilled them out to her yet.

I don't want to scare her off.

We both sit together, me doing my tinkerer's stuff, and her watching. Sometimes she helps me create something, activates it, gives parts and overall gives me ideas. I've never spent such a good time with someone. Sitting across me, she holds one of my trapwires in her hands.

- So you throw it on the wall and it separates? - she asks, trying to figure out how I managed to put two parts in one.

- Yes, you can try. - I smile and point at one wall. - Throw it there.

She stands up, and with full focus throws it at the wall. It gets stuck there and immediately gets tuck to the other side as well. Oh how happy she is.

Laria still hasn't told us about what she's experienced at the place where copies held her. And what about that Cypher over there? Did...

Argh, never mind. I still feel remorse I couldn't recognize her. It was so obvious, and I was blind...

- [y/n]. I'm sorry.

- Hm? - she looks up at me, confused. - What are you sorry for?

- I didn't realize... this was... the copy. - I put down the camera I was fixing and look her straight in the eyes. - I'm so sorry...

I feel her hand touching mine. It seems so fragile, delicate.

- It's okay. - the smile lightens up her face. - I didn't recognise the copy, either. We both were lost. The copies were made to deceive us.

She takes the hand away and continues messing around with my gadgets. Unlike Raze, she's really careful with them and tries to understand their mechanism. I remember when she blew up my whole collection of trapwires; that's why I don't let her into my workshop any more. She better stays at Killjoy's. And mess around with her turret.

Now as I think of it, I don't know what we are with Laria. I assume we're kind of best friends, but my mind is refusing to accept it, for some reason. But when I look at her, I remember...

Remember her.

I remember when she was laying on the ground, covered in blood, motionless eyes filled with fear. I think... this creates some sort of a barrier between us. Or maybe it's just my barrier, that I can't get through. When I look at [y/n], she seems so free and willing to go forward with our friendship. She doesn't fear being attached, or even craves for it. I admire that, her strong will and... bravery.

I'm scared to lose anyone else.

- Hey, so your camera is connected to your mask? - she asked, holding the device in her hand.

- Yup, thanks to the radianite. It helps me connect all my gadgets to my mask, so I can spot the enemies easily. Not only enemies, if you know what I mean.

- You work in the shadows, you're involved in the dark web, right? - she looks up at me, her curious eyes glued to me.

- Indeed, I get every single information on basically anyone.