Chapter 15

{Laria}

I woke up in my own bed. I've no idea what happened the night before, and I still have trouble processing it. What were those feelings... Why did it lead me to this point?
I look around my room looking for any signs that Cypher might be still here, but there's none. He's probably already outside, doing his job or having some important meeting at the Valorant headquarters.

I slowly get out of my bed, careful not to do it too fast. I'm still during the process of waking up, my thoughts like a fog in my mind. Nothing's coming together yet. I make my way to the kitchen, where I stare at the food laid out on the table.

"Oh..." I whisper, grabbing a cup of hot tea into my hands, letting the warmth spread around my palms. If it's still having this temperature, that means Aamir's left recently. "Thank you..." I add with my husky morning voice to myself; but of course, inside, it's aimed at Cypher.

I think yesterday... I just fell asleep. In his arms. Like a baby. Well, what a strange experience it was. I just felt weak and collapsed... I still need time to think about my feelings.

Or maybe...

"Good morning." I hear soothing voice coming from the front door. When I look there, I see Sage who's closing the door behind herself and walks into the corridor. "I see you're doing quite well, and that Cypher's taking care of you."

"Ah, yes, yes." I nod repeatedly and feel the smile crawling onto my lips. "Oh, do you want some tea? Or... Anything, really?" I look around to see there's not much to serve for her. There's just a breakfast prepared for me.

"A cup of water will be just fine." She smiled, nodding at me. She seemed not surprised at the fact this home is not well supplied. Maybe that's why she brought several bags filled with... Stuff. "I was on a little shopping. This is all for you and Aamir." She put them down and took the glass of water I offered.

"Why, thank you!" Sending her a grateful smile I peek into the bags and spot tons of fresh food. When are we going to consume all of this? "That's a lot..."

"Well, yes, I bet you've seen Cypher working - endless snacking, drinking. Not alcohol of course, it's rare for him to drink this crap..." She helps me unpack it all, immediately putting things where they belong. It's incredible how well she knows this place. "How are your things with him?"

I fall silent, not really knowing what to say. It's complicated, and I think I should just say this. You know, considering how close we were yesterday, and before... How we both are "connected" and...

"It's complicated."

"I understand." She nodded and put a huge fish in the fridge. Holy cow... That's some big boy right here. "Eat, eat peacefully. Don't bother yourself with me." She pats my shoulder and points at my breakfast.

Food, right. Eating.

I sigh and sit down, starting to vacuum everything off my plate.

{Cypher}

"There will be more." Brim's walking around the room, hands behind his back. "And we... Actually need to find a way to stop it. I don't care how, but we need to stop it."

"Just yesterday I said we can't." Killjoy says, rolling her eyes. "It's basically impossible." The tension grows, everyone's uncertain.

Today we've received news about the radianite found in the sea. That means there's more of it, and it'll keep coming. I frown and look at the statistics displayed on the glass table. If we don't stop this circus, more and more people will be gifted with abilities. Maybe the ones that shouldn't really have it. Unreliable, foolish and craving power. That's what a horror world sounds like.