Chapter 16

{Y/N}

We are sitting in a huge, meeting room. Again. Oh how tiring this place is; today I'd actually rather stayed in my bed. Comfy, warm bed. Without any interruption that would have completely destroyed my dream.

I look around at everyone talking and honestly I don't feel like joining. They're talking how important the next mission is - like all from before. Nothing new.

This time they're planning on going to Bind, which I heard from my trusted resources, is Cypher's hometown. Located in Morocco, the Kingdom has taken over it. I remember hearing staff in laboratory talking about the whole revolution and things. Wonder if Aamir took part in them...

I play with my pen between fingers and sigh heavily. Hope nobody heard it. Can't they just send us here and let us fight? I'm sure they'll equip us with more advanced weaponry this time. As they know more or less what the danger is, the Valorant won't let us go without a proper preparation.

"You seem bored out of your mind." I heard a whisper from my right and meet Jett's stare. "I get you, I'd rather go on the battlefield and woosh them off the ground." She nods confidently, having her arms crossed on the chest. "You know, I've been practicing my knives recently. They're going great." She sets a hand mid-air, showing how sure she is of her skill. Then she winks at me and giggles. "What about you? Have you tried even a little?"

"Yes, actually." I nod and recall the training session with Yoru, this time. Everyone agreed that he'd be the best to help me out with controlling my abilities, but everyone also agreed it's the best that Aamir would watch over us. We both had a lot of fun, and I must admit, he's a pretty chill guy - despite his enormous ego and confidence. He makes a good friend. "I control the aim of my abilities more. It's easier for me to direct them at the target." I smile.

"I've never seen you use your ultimate ability." She whispers and I sigh. Yes, she never has seen it; but she also has never seen the results of it. Just remembering the scenery at the laboratory makes my heart jump, feeling as it starts beating faster.

"It's not one of the... Pleasant ones." I reply slowly, cracking some sort of a smile. Jett nods slowly, setting herself more comfortably in the chair.

"Mine neither. It's disgusting when I have to take the daggers out of their skulls, believe me-" she wants to continue, but is interrupted by a slight cough coming from Brimstone. "Sorry, Brim." She says but adds under breath: "Ok, boomer..."

I can't help but smile. Brimstone seems to not having heard it, so the relief gets to both of us. That was a risky move, my friend.

Aamir seems to almost be falling asleep, if it wasn't for his doodles of the next inventions he wishes to make. His head sometimes slips off his hand, causing it to nearly meet with the hard surface of wooden table. He sometimes looks at me and I see how his blue pupils winks at me, to which I reply to with a smile. The fact I have to wait for him to do it kind of keeps me focusing on what's happening around. Kind of.

On my left is sitting Viper. I've never really talked to her, but she doesn't seem to be fond of me, so I don't know if I should bother. It never did any harm to try. I... Guess.

"Hey, Viper." I whisper, nudging her gently. "What's up?"

"Nothing." She replies in a dry tone. So not this way. 

"You sure? May I ask... How do your gas gadgets work?" I continue to push the topic forward, and that seems to kind of work. I could notice a simple sparkle in her eye, and then she leaned towards me.

"Are you sure you want to listen to it?" She narrowed her eyes, looking at me and trying to decipher my intentions.

I smile brightly.

"With a pleasure!"

She backs off and seems to relax a little. "I think... I have a free time after this meeting. We could, possibly, meet up." She said quietly, but I feel a hand falling on my shoulder from behind. When I look at Viper, her shoulder's held as well.

"Maybe in the evening, ladies? I need to talk for a while with Laria." Aamir giggles and reaches out a hand to help me get up.

"Let's meet up at 7 p.m., how about that?" I send her a friendly smile and she answers with a nod.

"Suits me."

We both walk out with Aamir and just start walking around. I didn't even notice back there that Brimstone finally finished talking, I was more focused on the conversation with Viper.

"You seem to try to get to our lovely Sabine?" Aamir says in his delighted voice, poking my arm.

"She seems a bit lonely. I don't think she talks much with anyone."  I shrug, slapping off Aamir's hand. "Staaaaaaaph..." I giggle, take his hat off and put it on my own head. "This is weirdly comfortable." Then this weird feeling hits me. I place my hand on my stomach and squeeze my hand on the shirt. I feel as if ten huge spikes stabbed me at once, but I didn't even have a time to react to it. As quickly as it came, it disappeared immediately after.

Aamir was already standing in front of me and holding his hands tightly on my shoulders.

"Y/N?" I hear his concerned voice and look up at him. Trying to shake the weird feeling off I straighten up slowly and pat his hand.

"I'm okay." I whisper, nodding. "That was weird..."

"What was weird?"

"That feeling." I look down and exhale. "It hurt."

Aamir cups my face in his palms and looks me straight in the eyes.

"Your abilities are awaken. Your eyes glow faintly." He slowly frowns and gently, reassuringly pats my cheek repeatedly. "You're... Gonna be fine, don't worry."

"Have I ever said I'm worried?" I sighed, but indeed, I was. Maybe it was just a sudden pain we all have, out of nowhere. But what concerned me was that it made me feel like I need to defend myself any second. Like, you know, a response to a threat.

"I never thought you'd try to become closer to Viper." Cypher slowly started, trying to notice even the slightest change in my expression that would expose pain. "Everyone gave up just once seeing her." He giggled, but it wasn't that honest. His focus was all on me.

"That's why she needs some company." I nod, putting my shoulder to the wall. "Did you see this sparkle in her eye once I mentioned her gadgets? That's the thing." I point at him with a confident smile. "That's what is her thing."

The pain hits again, but two times stronger. I can't help but bend down, holding the shirt tightly. My breath cuts off, I can't even make a sound. That was like a sudden hit, as someone would've stabbed me with multiple knives.

"[Y/N]!!!" I hear his panicked voice beside me as he's holding my sore body in his hands gently. "Oh my god, what's happening..."

Then again, the feeling disappears. I feel relieved this torture is over so soon. I look at him and wait as I process what just happened.

"Ouch."

Aamir's never seemed more worried. He makes me sit down in the armchair and immediately hands a cup of water. Putting a hand to my forehead he checks whether I have a fever, whatever it could mean.

"Does it hurt now?"

I shake my head at that question. Everything seems fine just now, and I realize the sweat that appeared on my forehead. I gently wipe it with my wrist, taking a deep, relaxing breath.

"I don't feel any pain at all now." I nod, smiling slightly.

He holds his hand on my shoulder tightly, watching my face. His pupils wandering from one side to another.

"Don't worry, it's all good now." I reassure him and slowly get up. "This water was tasty, thanks." I nod with admiration and hand him back the cup. I see edges of his lips go up slowly.

"Sure." He nods and snorts under his breath. "Now, you should mentally prepare for a talk with Viper." Despite the tone he used, I know he's still worried.

"Aamir, please. I need no preparation." I say firmly, giggling.

I think.