CHAPTER 7 - Plans and Preparations

*****

A YEAR AGO BEFORE THE APOCALYPSE

Eden woke up and her slightly sleepy head felt like it's been cleared of all doubts and anxiety and she felt like she was ready to tackle another chaotic day without fear.

She slowly sits up and stretched herself and then gets off the bed and brought along the knife and handgun with her to the main room of her apartment which is in the living room.

She went to the windows and peeked through the covered barricade and saw and heard that the continued chaos is about to lessen and she figured that most of the people must have fled or escaped from the city to the unknown beyond out there, or maybe most of the humans have been eaten or turned into zombies that she can see a few roaming about aimlessly as if searching for more living prey.

She covered back the windows and sighed as Eden went to make another simple breakfast, which is a cup of coffee, and thought of starting to ration her food to save it in the future.

After making it and then bringing it to her desk, Eden figured she will also use her journal as her additional guide and list the tasks and things that she needed to do, even writing down her own rules of survival, throughout everything she experienced and will experience, upon surviving in the city since it looks like she'll be stuck and staying there for a while.

After she double-checked that her apartment is safe and secure and that her weapons and ready-to-leave stuff are prepared when about to leave suddenly, she went to her desk and started writing another entry again.

*****

JOURNAL ENTRY: 11TH DAY, 1ST MONTH JANUARY, YEAR 2XXX

It's another day and so far, I noticed outside from the window of my apartment that the chaotic noises and sounds are lessening and then going faint. It figures that most of the people in the city must have already left or got eaten or turned into zombies.

From outside I can see a few of the undead just wandering about and they looked to be searching for the living but couldn't find them.

Right now, I need to make decisions, make plans and preparations for what I need to do, and survive here since it looks like I'm stuck here and have to stay for a while.

And it figures that I'd be writing in this journal about my own self-made rules of survival to get through this.

For me, my first and foremost important RULE #1 is: Stay Alive and Survive.

It's simple and obvious to the point. But then anyone else would think for themselves to center on that when it comes to their survival.

Now, the rule that I must follow next and be written down on the list of survival rules, which is of utmost concern centering to my number one rule.

RULE #6: Prioritize the important stuff.

And that meant the necessities that are important for survival: food, water, supplies, and weapons.

And so, okay. First things first.

Priority number one - Supplies and Weapons.

I need to take stock of the necessary supplies to survive, knowing that electricity might be gone and out now. The supplies needed first and foremost are flashlights, food, water, binoculars, life-saving preserving containers for food and water, protective gloves, traveling sleeping bags, travel backpacks, bath products, clothes, and other stuff like that.

Weapons are very important since I'll be facing and fighting against those carnivorous undead monsters out in the city. Silent weapons are the best because of the high beliefs and chances that zombies can hear as well as smell better than seeing their prey.

Machete, sharp knives, melee weapons like that.

Guns too are important, but of course, the loud shot sounds from them will attract attention, meaning mostly from the monsters.

I have a handgun sure, but I'd rather not die sooner than later if I just kept using it and shooting, and then have a swarm of them overwhelming me and eating me alive. So that means that I'll have to somehow find or make silencers for all gun weaponry.

I still remember the gun bag that was left behind and hidden before and I'll go and get it once I do the first thing that I'm going to do to complete this priority.

Finding and getting a car to ride around in the city.

It's a fact that mobile vehicles might be useless in the city because of traffic jams and accidents happening around the streets but it's useful to ride back and forth and around and carry the supplies and weapons and stuff needed.

Next, priority number two - Food and Shelter.

Food, of course, is important, both perishables and non-perishables. That also includes safe drinking and clean water. I hope to find food and save them while I stay here in the city and that it will last long in the future and be easy to carry and travel with.

Like those military preserved food rations, which I hope that there might be in the city, considering that it's possible that the military must have come here and helped with the city evacuation or something.

And then last but not least important, shelter.

A safe and secure place where I can stay as a permanent and also temporary shelter here in the city.

I knew deep down that this apartment won't last long and it was not suitable as a secure shelter for me against the elements and the dangers outside in the city.

I'm going to have to look for one that might be somewhere out there and that's equipped somehow with good security and water and maybe generated electricity.

It might not be possible to find something like that but it's no surprise that those among the rich society like the billionaires would equip their condos or business buildings with such things as that.

So here it is. The plans I have made and now I have to make preparations and ready myself to do them for the next days.

After making the plans and preparations, I'm going to have to do and complete them and get ready to tackle the dangers out there with whatever I've got.

Here's hoping that I will succeed.

This is Eden, signing off.

*****

Eden stopped and sighed as she finished the entry and then was thinking deeply again for a moment before she closed her journal and then went to wash her coffee cup and make an early lunch.

After cooking and eating it, she went to train herself again and practice, along with the handgun that she has but she didn't waste the bullets and just practice aiming and then mimic shooting.

She went for the spears and knives first, practicing with the made-up dummies again, and then did stabbing and striking moves with her weapons, trying to make herself in a slightly good fighting condition when she confronts the monsters and other dangers outside.

For a whole day, she's done this and after finished practicing her gun training and aiming, she stopped and went to rest for the whole night and have herself ready to complete and do the tasks needed for her survival in the city.

*****

*****