CHAPTER 4 - Rising and Falling

*****

A YEAR AGO BEFORE THE APOCALYPSE

Eden is still there in the apartment, sitting by her desk and writing in her journal about everything that had happened until she came home but then her head snapped up upon hearing noise from outside.

She slowly stood from her chair and walked to the windows, moving the curtains to the side a little so that she can peek and look outside.

Eden saw much to her stunned shock and horror that fires were breaking out from some of the buildings and other areas that she can see within her sight range and she can hear echoes of sirens from the police and ambulances running around trying to deal with the chaos that had broken out that very night.

She knew very well what kind of chaos they'd be dealing with and knew what was to come so after pulling the curtains close over her windows, she went around her apartment and barricaded herself inside it just in case.

She put a strong-made wooden chair with its back against the doorknob to prevent it from being opened from outside, then she placed two heavy boxes on top of that chair by the door to increase the weight of her locked entrance.

Then she moved the large square table carefully from the dining room and put it up to stand on its side legs and the flat wooden top to cover the windows to provide additional cover and shield against anything that might break and impact her windows.

Then she went around her apartment again to make sure and double-check there aren't any openings or gaps for someone or something to get inside her home.

After that, she started to prepare some necessities just in case she needs to leave the apartment when something else happens that might be more dangerous for her to stay.

She had some clothes ready and packed them in her backpack and used the same bag to place some non-perishable food and drinks inside it and then placed it next to the chair that is barricading her door.

Then Eden thought of something and looked around to see if she had a weapon of some sort she can use to fight and defend herself against the dangers outside and in the city itself.

She decided that the kitchen knives will have to make do as her weapons of choice and took the sharp and long ones out from their place. Then she grabbed her broom from the cleaning closet, removed the end part, and made herself a make-shift spear with double blades duct-taped firmly on each end.

Then she made another spear from a plastic-stick mop that seemed to be breakable, but Eden used it anyway as she removed the mop end and then tightly duct-taped only one sharp knife at one end.

With her weapons ready of two spears, one blade, and two blade types, and 2 large long sharp knives and 2 short ones, she packed the knives inside her full-bulging backpack except for the large ones she placed on top of the closed bag so that she'll carry as her side-weapons. And she placed the two spears next to the backpack.

After Eden finished her preparations, she slowly turned and looked at the journal that is still on the desk, open in the pages where she was writing before.

All she has to do now is finish the entry that she was writing on it and then take a break for herself to think clearly and plan what to do.

She went back to her desk, sat on her chair, and continued writing, her mind instantly going back and remembering what had happened before she returned to the apartment.

*****

JOURNAL ENTRY: 7TH DAY, 1ST MONTH JANUARY, YEAR 2XXX

I kept on sobbing and crying to myself as I was sitting down on the floor at the back of the grocery store, with my back against the locked door and the sounds she's now hearing is that the screaming and yelling had stopped and what was left were the sickening sounds of someone eating and munching loudly from behind the door.