CHAPTER 37 - Unexpected Surprises

*****

It was two more days later that gone and passed by on the third week of October in Z-city. And even though everything has been silent and peaceful there, it looks like something happened surprisingly, almost as Eden had predicted upon thinking about it before.

But this kind of surprise cannot be fully figured out whether it is good or bad when they found it by chance or accident. And it looks like the adults in the group turned to Eden like she's the one who holds the answers and final decisions towards the indecisive questions they have upon discovering this particular surprise.

Eden was still not comfortable with the way how they turn to her like she truly holds the answers to whatever they wanted or seeks for, but she knew that she was the only one who knows well enough whether it is safe or not to put trust in her and find out whether it's the real deal or not.

This particular surprise, everyone is all worried and anxious about, is that Mark had finished fixing and working on the improvised CB radio so that it will take in any messages sent out from somewhere, and it became a success apparently when it worked, when at first there was static upon turning it on that one day and then on the next, there was suddenly a faint voice on the other end somewhere beyond out there, sending out a message for any living survivor to hear this.

Eden was one of the people who listened to this message and was silent about it as she, Mark, Homer, and Nadia heard this message played out from a recorder or something through the radio until it was finished. Mark, Homer, and Nadia were discussing to each other excitedly over this the knowledge that there might be more survivors out there, offering shelter and safety and such, but Eden was still quiet and still like a stone statue, as it's like she doesn't believe this no matter how convincing the message sounds.

After Mark, Homer, and Nadia finished with their discussion and arguments over the message they heard, it seems that only Mark and Nadia seem to think that this survivor message might be a hoax or a lure that will send them into a trap of living hostiles from the scary experience they went through before, but Homer believes that this message might be legit and there are other people out there who are surviving in a safe secure place such like this one in Safe Haven and it seems logical enough to go out there and check it out.

Upon being outnumbered from two to one, the three of them turned right to Eden and looked questioningly like they were asking for her opinion after they shared each other's out, and once again, Eden was a little uncomfortable being a part of this kind of argument and have to make her final decision over it, but her mind has already made up overthinking deeply about it and shared it out loud to them.

It seems that they all agreed with her decision and Homer and Mark left to tell the others and share the news about the radio message and also tell them what Eden plans to do about it. As the two men left, leaving Nadia and Eden alone, it was silent for a little awkward moment before Eden broke it by telling Nadia to check on their kids and also settle on dinner, since it was now late and they need to eat and then rest for another day.

Nadia nodded and went to do just that, following her orders, which Eden is still not used to somehow being chosen as the group's impromptu leader of sorts, but the lone survivor-woman shook those thoughts off for later and took out the journal she hid upon her person and it looks like she made a new habit of taking it almost always with her when it is needed or so.

Eden glanced about and around, making sure that there was nobody near her or something and when she made sure that everything around the area upon her is clear, she started writing the new entry as fast as she can, not stopping until she was finished with it.

*****

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY UNKNOWN, 10TH MONTH OCTOBER, YEAR 2XXX

Hey, it's me, Eden, again.